Ruger Single Six revolvers manufactured and sold with only cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sirdutch

Bearcat
I purchased an almost mint Ruger Single Six 2nd hand. It was manufactured in 1975.

As it came with only the .22lr cylinder, I'm guessing that magnum .22 WMR got separated along with the case or box it originally came in. However, when I checked whether the 3 digit cylinder number matched the last 3 serial numbers of the revolver, it turns out that .22lr cylinder has no numbers on it at all, either engraved or etched!

As Ruger says, in it's downloadable manual, that Ruger Single Six revolvers manufactured and sold with only one cylinder do not have any numbers on the cylinder that comes with the firearm.
I'm guessing that mine may not a convertible. Would Ruger know if this particular revolver shipped with only one cylinder? I guess I'll have to ask Ruger.

I'm thinking that the bore might not be suitable for the .22WMR. Perhaps I just need to measure the bore. I do believe the convertible revolvers came with a slightly wider bore to accommodate the larger .22 WMR. and possibly less accurate with .22lr.

As I've already purchased an unused in the box .22 WMR and was planning to send it to Ruger to have it fitted just to be safe, now I'm not sure it can be fitted at all.

Any insights would be appreciated.

welcome to the forum,,,sounds like a nice gun, and if it is what was noted above it could be like this one, the first series of the "New model" boxes, one piece, red and white......note the end label and look for the "star" on the bottom ,front edge of the cylinder frame.....if no star then it most likely was a convertible......the numbers on the "spare" cylinder.....

UrwLTzkm.jpg

hittman

Staff member

For a whopping $10 Ruger will supply you with a Letter of Authenticity with model number, ship date, etc.

Sirdutch

Bearcat
The Arrow or House stamp revolvers were 1985-1986. Same result not a lot of interest.
Terry

When you check your revolver for the Star look closely, I have seen guns where only a tiny tip of the Star shows.

Here are all eight "Star" revolvers.

c93w1yNl.jpg
Do I need to remove the cylinder when looking for a star marked revolver? (Or upside-down house or whatever)

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
No it is on the outside of the frame. Turn your gun upside down with barrel pointing away from you. The Star would be stamped in front of trigger guard on the frame.
Terry

Sirdutch

Bearcat
Thanks! I was looking in the wrong place

I found it! My Ruger blued 1975 manufactured Single Six with a 6 and 1/2 barrel is not a convertible. The star is plain as day.

I'm not sure how to feel about that just yet. As I might have mentioned, I found and purchased a .22 WMR cylinder a week ago. It is etched with a 3 number serialization in a less than perfect box (but with no velvet pouch) with no drag marks on it at all. I imagine it never was in the revolver it was mated to.

I'm thinking that a revolver specifically chambered for the .22lr might have a smaller bore. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the bore of a convertible is a little larger to accommodate the .22 WMR. Perhaps the .22lr specific star revolvers might be a little more accurate?

In any event, I purchased this one because I can shoot it more often and plink with more rounds because of its availability and cost of .22lr. I've got an old Glenfield .22lr, a Ruger Mark lI, and a Kimber conversion slide for my Kimber Custom so it will have plenty of company.

G2

Hunter
Want to confirm your Bore… a 7/32" drill bit will fit and slide in a Bore that will handle both 22lr/22WMR.

IF the bore is 22lr only, it will not fit.

SIMPLE

Suggestion; use the BUTT end of the drill bit, ;).

The 6.5" Bisley 22lr introduced ~1984/85 were not built as convertible's, however I have successfully added a WMR cylinder and the gun really likes it. Notably more accurate vs the 22lr.

Here is a thread (way back) that might be of interest to you. At this time I had a stainless MAG cylinder, Now I have a blued cylinder.

Last edited:

Coogs

Maximum
The "house" or "arrow" marked single cylinder guns were designated as Model SSR. They are marked in the same location as the "star" marked models. There were two production runs of these models for approximately 4 months in 1986. One would assume that Ruger dropped the Mag cylinder to be price competitive with other single cylinder manufacturers of the day. During this time the SR series, two cylinders, were actually dropped. Outcry about the dropped SR series evidently paid off and the SSR series was dropped and the SR series reintroduced.

Sirdutch

Bearcat
Want to confirm your Bore… a 7/32" drill bit will fit and slide in a Bore that will handle both 22lr/22WMR.

IF the bore is 22lr only, it will not fit.

SIMPLE

Suggestion; use the BUTT end of the drill bit, ;).

The 6.5" Bisley 22lr introduced ~1984/85 were not built as convertible's, however I have successfully added a WMR cylinder and the gun really likes it. Notably more accurate vs the 22lr.

Here is a thread (way back) that might be of interest to you. At this time I had a stainless MAG cylinder, Now I have a blued cylinder.

Thank you! I'll give that a try later on today! I'm very impressed by this forum right off bat. I'll check out that thread when I get a chance.