Ruger Single Six Liteweight

Help Support Ruger Forum:

357Maximum

Bearcat
Just received a Liteweight serial # 205649. Alloy frame and cylinder , steel ejector housing, grip frame appears to have been refinished as it is gloss black ??

Purchased as a shooter no box or papers, seller received from an estate so no idea of the history.

Is anyone shooting these ?

Sorry about the pics, my first attempt...............

001.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

006.jpg

BlkHawk73

Hunter
SteveRuger":muwo11wl said:
I would not shoot it they are a little on the rare side. IMHO

If refinished though, the value has been dramatically detracted from.

Hauss

Bearcat
Didn't the early lightweights come with a black frame? That one looks an awful lot like my grandfather's lightweight, and his is all black.

yes, some of the grip frames are very glossy, different era /finish? as well as the cylinders of those guns,aluminum, 'Martin coat', blackened aluminum, and finally steel.....nice guns,and no, the factory will not refinish them, neither will many gunsmiths due to the barrels being steel and screwed into the aluminum frames,,,,,,,,,,ooohh, touchy.....
tough to tell in those pictures but seems pretty decent really, if the anything, possibly the grip frame was redone, we see that often on those gun............

chet15

Hawkeye
If you work the action much, the hardcoat will chip off the cylinder pretty easy. You've got a pretty scarce gun there. Were it me, I'd keep it in the shape it is right now and find another shooter...or trade somebody else your Lightweight for a shooter and cash.
Chet15

flatgate

Hawkeye
Some "All Blue" Lightweights had the steel cylinder..

231742699.jpg

but the scarce guns came with a blue/black colored cast aluminum, steel sleeved cylinder.

231742703.jpg

Obtaining a Lightweight with a "un-chipped" aluminum cylinder would make this ol' collector go bonkers!

Please follow Chet15's advice.....

flatgate

357Maximum

Bearcat
Thank You all, for the information, it appears almost unfired, I assumed that it had been refinished perhaps not ?
Cylinder is unchipped .

Any rough estimate of it's value , ??

I have approx $285.00 US in it, old model Rugers are not easy to find l north of the 49th.

Chance

Buckeye
FANTASTIC find. Deals like this give me hope that one day a Lightweight will find it's way into my safe.

Congrats, you are one fortunate man.

contender

Ruger Guru
They do happen. I got an all blue Lightweight for a very good sum a few years ago,,! Many folks don't know they are lightweights, and price them as "normal" 22 Rugers,,,!

Hauss

Bearcat
At a local gun show last winter a ruger single action collector offered my grandfather a 357 maxium and some cash in trade for his lightweight single six with box. I'd say you have a great gun there, and you'd probably make money off it, if you wanted to sell.

street

Hunter
flatgate":38c5vnbh said:
Obtaining a Lightweight with a "un-chipped" aluminum cylinder would make this ol' collector go bonkers!

Please follow Chet15's advice.....

flatgate

Carl, I had one with a box and papers. Talk to the "Potato Farmer". :lol:

bene8019

Bearcat
I got an all blue with stags for $325 a few years ago then i sold the stags for $525 about the same time. (wish i still had m!) but i still got the gun!

flatgate

Hawkeye
rugerguy":5qq0makg said:
Hey, they are out there, just gotta be "patient"...got this one at the Maumee Valley gun collectors show, set up with Don, and it cost me a whole whopping $350.................

That's unbelievable...............The DAMN BOX is worth TWICE that much.....

Totally trashed old Single-Sixes are priced at $350 at the gun shows around here.......

I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.....

Dan does it again!

flatgate

OH well Flatgate, we often tell you, you gotta come over, set a spell, and be around when this stuff "comes along.........." 3 LW tri-colors, two of them boxed , for Laura , and yes, one of them was (still is) an "S" gun, and we never paid over $350 for ANY of them........
lowest we paid , was $275, from a 'retired' Ohio State trooper, knew we were looking for stuff like that for Laura and they brought it over to OGCA. But the '470 gun, took the cake, that was the one that hung on a peg , in an old barn...........had to be there to "see it" when he brought it in, and then said, to me and Don, "Oh, by the way...here's the box....."

reminds us of the 10 inch 44 mag, with factory stags, and the same thing happened, he came back in a few minutes and said..." oh , by the way, here is the box............" she sits in our dealers collection, Bill really wanted that one, and of course, "the price was right...." :roll:

radicalrod

Hunter
Gosh Dan I hope ya gave the guy a BIG KISS from Laura :lol: :lol: :lol: I think he musta mistaken you for the "GOOD LOOKING" Ruger collector that wonders around that show :shock: :shock: :shock: see ya RR.

flatgate

Hawkeye
All you guys need to be "teleported" to a Riverton WY gun show for 3 years in a row. (Since we are going "Star Trek" you guys can be tortured with three weekends instead of three years.) :D

Chromed OM .45. Listed as "only one ever made".
Next to it is a Flat-top OM .30 Carbine. "experimental model, only one made".

On row 3 there's a genuine Flattop .357. Unfortunately it's fitted with a New Model barrel and a XR3-RED grip frame with New Model grips "Rare .357 Flattop, never fired", $775!

Yeah, we Western Guys just think the stories are "fairy tales".... :D :D

flatgate

A

Anonymous

Whats up gentlemen (and ladies)
I recently bought a single six off of someone for pretty cheap. when i took it to the gunstore the associate informed me that i have a lightweight single six. It is the blue alloy version i believe from the serial numbers (206134) I am looking for a ruger collector who is interested. Email me at [email protected] for more info and pictures. This gun works like a champ. My roommate also has a security-six with fixed sights.