ruger single six 9.5 in barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sandman228

Single-Sixer
im thinking of picking up a single six in the near future ,gonna try to limit myself to 1 gun buy this year glad I snuck the single seven in while it was still 2014. anyhow I was thinking of buying the 9.5 inch barrel model . it will be used for plinking ,target shooting ,so on im not a hunter so it wont be being carried in the woods or anything . my question is is the accuracy better with that longer barrel or should I just stay with the 5.5 or 6.5 inch barrel .I do already own a heritage 22,22 mag combo revolver 4.5 inch . its nothing great it was my sons gun I bought it for him when he was 13 he got into a jam a while back and wanted to sell off his guns so to help him out I bought it from him for the full price I originally paid for it (so I have a 360$heritage revolver lol) but anyhow it was to help him and his family out . the gun is ok ,nothing great as far as accuracy or grouping goes I can shoot a bowling pin at 25 yrds with it but it don't really put nice groups on paper . so theres where im at I want a nicer 22 revolver not sure what barrel length to get . I still plan on holding onto the heritage though maybe give it back to my son someday or pass it onto my grandson .

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
There are a number of things you can do with a handgun, there are less things you can do with a handgun with a 9 1/2 inch barrel. You give up too much.

wizofwas

Buckeye
Get what you want. Any quality 22 should be a tack driver with the ammo that it likes. I was putting some clays in a berm at 75 yards and was hitting them with a 4.5 in. barrel Ruger. I'd think that I'd do better with a 9.5 in. barrel.

Just a bit of free friendly advice---if you are shooting bowling pins at 25 yards with a 22, I hope you and everyone around you are wearing safety glasses. Bowling pins are extremely hard!!!! Many 22 shots will bounce---richochete off of them. If you happen to get a good centered hit, it can and will come right back at you.

trapperon

Blackhawk
Sandman

the 9.5 is my very favorite single six barrel length. I think you will grab it every time over the rough rider!

It is an awesome barrel length for plinking and not holstering as you mentioned.

Ron

REB

Single-Sixer
A longer barrel is not inherently more accurate. The longer sight radius on longer barrels can make it a little easier to shoot accurately. It really comes down to preference. I like the 9-1/2 personally and it really does holster pretty well.

willk

Blackhawk
Own one with custom sights and a trigger job. Use it for IHMSA small bore revolver. Not much good at that but for a small gun to hit small targets at reasonable range, it is pretty good. I think you would enjoy the long barreled revolver.

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
Couple of points:
AJGUNNER is exactly correct. I have the marks to prove it. I was hit with my own 250gr .45lc slug during a cowboy event while shooting pins * big NO-NO. A "center hit" hits back - trust me!
The 9-1/2" barrel version is more rare than any other barrel length and therefore commands a premium. In other words, you'll pay more to get one. It may give a slight velocity advantage over a shorter tube, however I believe the 5-1/2" is ideal length (just my opinion), providing enough site radius for decent accuracy and still easily shot by younger shooters or packed for days afield.
--Just B.S.--

Not sure if they still have it but Cabelas in KY had one for sale on the gun library web site. It was drilled and tapped for a scope so the price was decent. Like I said not sure if they still have it.

I like them and would love to own one. I can see how it would be slightly more accurate. The twist rate of .22 is 1; 16 so it rotates twice that of a 4 5/8" barrel.

street

Hunter
Justice B. Swift said:
The 9-1/2" barrel version is more rare than any other barrel length and therefore commands a premium.

If you do a little more checking you will find the 4 5/8 in barrel Single-Sixes are also rare, and in some cases they are more rare the 9 1/2 in models, variation to variations.