Ruger Single six 22 mag refinish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I picked up a OM Single Six marked 22 magnum. It had been kept in a holster so has some pitting. I was wondering how far will Ruger go in making it look like new? I know they will do a conversion since it hasn't been done but will they return original parts? Also I need a new cylinder pin, old one had to be beat out. I am only into it for $100 and its cleaning up ok. just want it to look newer with out pitting. a couple before pics and one after soaking in oil and 0000 steel wool
0813152001.jpg
0809152221.jpg
[
0809152220.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It'll look like brand new, except if there's pits just to deep to get all the way out, they'll show.
But they'll do a darn good job, especially for the price.
Don't send the internal action parts.
And call to get a free shipping tag by telling them you want the safety retrofit, and a re-finish while they have it.

I think this depends on what you intend to do with it. If you want a shooter it looks like you've already done a good job of cleaning it up. You have a nice cheap shooter.

If you want it to look nice, Ruger will do a real good job at a reasonable cost. However as Hondo points out, they will not be able to remove any deep pits. Trust me you'll see them every time you pick up the gun.

bullwinkle3331

Bearcat
Hi Jeff,
Great project at a great price!
There are some cylinder pins on Ebay and Numrich gun parts may have one in stock as well along with other parts.
You might want to look at using copper wadding or a copper brush along with the gun oil to clean the rust off.
I use it all the time to clean up shooter guns and the copper does not hurt the bluing.
It does a great job!

Just a thought.

Good Luck!

Sincerely,
Paul

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Won't the conversion cylinder pin work when he puts all the other original parts back in? Something about pulling the pin and spring out first.

SATCOM

338reddog

Single-Sixer
The rust was mostly surface and the bore and cylinders are in great shape. there are about three areas that the rust went a little deeper and will require some polishing to clean up. I greased the gun heavily and let it set a few days then used 0000 steel wool to remove the majority of rust. It cleaned up really well and the blue looked nice . but as above some areas need polishing.