Ruger Single 6 unmod won't halfcock for load/unload

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FTL3000

Bearcat
The title pretty much says it all. I looked around on the forum a bit before posting this but couldn't find someone with a similar situation. It's an unmodified Ruger single six .22LR model number 114371. The hammer won't stick at halfcock for loading/unloading. I'll probably have to take it somewhere to get it fixed (as opposed to doing it myself) but it still would be nice to know what's causing this to happen (or not happen as is the case). Thanks in advance for any help!

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Well, I'd bet that the half cock notch on the hammer is snapped off.

Single Six hammers show up pretty regularly for sale and aren't too expensive. Probably cheaper to replace it than find a smith to weld it up, recut it and heat treat it.

FTL3000

Bearcat
Thanks very much! I started taking the gun apart to see if that's the case before I order a hammer but I'm having second thoughts about doing it myself. Is that something I can do myself or should I buy the hammer and take both it and the gun to a repair shop?

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I don't know your level of mechanical aptitude. Use good screwdrivers.
Also depends on your definition of gunsmith. The guy at the local shop may booger the gun up worse than you would if you did it yourself.
With the right reference, a hammer swap is a 20-30 min DIY job.
(I think a OM hammer swap is very easy)
Remove grips, cock hammer, place small pin/nail through hammer strut to capture spring, remove gripframe, take out hammer screw, R & R hammer, reverse other steps. hopefully someone can correct me if i missed a step, I'm not well versed in OM's (or anything, just like to tinker).
Buy the Kuhnhausen book, its probably cheaper than the first hour of your gunsmith's time.

gunman42782

Hunter
It is not that hard to do yourself. I would recommend asking Ruger for an instruction manual at the least. And if you really want to know the inside and outside of your gun, buy the AGI video on Ruger Single Actions. It will give you all the confidence you need to take it apart and put it back together.

Hugh

Buckeye
FTL3000":3ljxlq2y said:
The title pretty much says it all. I looked around on the forum a bit before posting this but couldn't find someone with a similar situation. It's an unmodified Ruger single six .22LR model number 114371. The hammer won't stick at halfcock for loading/unloading. I'll probably have to take it somewhere to get it fixed (as opposed to doing it myself) but it still would be nice to know what's causing this to happen (or not happen as is the case). Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

Welcome to the Ruger Forum. Some of the others have mentioned this, and I'm sure you already have the Manual. Just in case you don't here's a link to the Manual at the Ruger site. You can download it free.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/InstructionManuals/38.pdf

c.r.

Single-Sixer
FTL3000,

I'm not sure you can order the old model hammers anymore. I think you'll have to depend on the used market.

In fact there is a set of single six parts for sale in the classifieds right now. I'm not tied to the ad what-so-ever.

There might actually be an add a few days ago where a fella was selling just hammers, but I can't recall.

~c.r.

Firsttimegrampa

Single-Sixer
Hopefully you won't need it but, next time go online to Ruger and check out their Online Videos. There you will see Ruger Tech Tips,look for Single Action Disassembly and when you want to put it back together-Single Action Reassembly