Ruger Shotgun Production

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just too much quality competition that's all. Browning makes some very nice O/U's that go head-to-head with the Red Labels.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Because to some, myself included, I buy what I feel is the better product regardless of where it's from and sometimes for additional costs. Never seen a Browning wear out either. Also, keep in mind that the stereotypical shotgunner likes the flashy, shiny look (Browning for example).

* I don't own a Browning just using them as an example.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
golferboy426":2tlr2xdn said:
For basically the same money and much better durability why wouldn't you BUY AMERICAN

I purchased my RL's back when I was just getting into shotgunning. With the possible exception of the 28 I don't think I would buy one today. In O/U's there are much better choices out there than the Ruger, IMO.

And I have almost decided that a quality auto is my preferred gun, as well. Not having to scrounge around on the ground for your empties is the only advantage an O/U has over a quality auto and that only applies if you reload.

mattsbox99

Hunter
I like 'em. I have several autos, and they are great for hunting, but for Sporting Clays, Trap, and Skeet I'll take an O/U, and I'll take an American gun.

Hay Blkhawk 73,
Your right, the RL's are just not very flashy or shinny. Not to generalize, but I think that the average shotgunner likes what works and Flashy and Shinny often comes with the package, at a cost.

035.jpg

001.jpg

smitty_bs

Bearcat
I love my 12ga. Red Label. I have one with 26" barrels and it balances perfectly for me. I know some who want the Berettas and Browings, but my gun works fine, was made in the USA and was actually cheaper than any of the other models when I bought it. I'm thinking of getting one in 20ga to match.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Just can't bring my self to buy a Japanese gun. Just seems, well, un- American. Good thing Toyota doesn't make guns :lol: :lol:

Red Label, All American, for American, represents too much of a good thing to buy "just because it is cheaper." American guns are for the practical shooter. Flash and shiny just make it harder to take to the field. It will cost in the long run more than you think! This last statement probably should have been posted elsewhere. Sorry but had to say it!

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree, I'm careful with my RLs but I have no qualms about taking them out hunting or shooting or letting my buddies use them (if I'm there too).

Coop

Blackhawk
I suspect the Ruger O/U Red Label shotgun is toast. That, and along with the Ruger Gold Label 12 GA SxS shotgun, IMO, will never return. Also, IMO, the manufacturing issues for making shotguns are out of the realm of Ruger firearms..

I do have a Gold Label. All my shooting friends go wild when they shoot it.

Number 1 firearm manufacturer in the USA is S&W. I do not see a S&W shotgun anywhere.

Ya'll get my drift???

Jack2427

Bearcat
Double wide in God's Country and/or Sandland
I have both the RL and GL, both with 26" barrels and straight grip stocks. It took me 16 years to finally get both and they serve all my field needs-and they are built HERE!
Call me a flake, but I buy American whenever I can, and sometimes I simply refuse to buy from certain countries. One thing you will never find me with is an AK-never!
And yes I really like Rugers, my dog is named Ruger, a Shepherd/Ridgeback mix that is is every bit as reliable as the shotguns.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Jack2427":3jjcqxc4 said:
Call me a flake, but I buy American whenever I can, and sometimes I simply refuse to buy from certain countries.
And yes I really like Rugers, my dog is named Ruger, a Shepherd/Ridgeback mix that is is every bit as reliable as the shotguns.

Ahhh, but that dog is 1/2 German and 1/2 Rhodesian. :wink: :lol:

mattsbox99

Hunter
People don't like to admit that they blew $8-$10k on a shotgun when a $1200 Ruger would do that same thing. :)

Also, if you hang around Skeet or Trap circles, they will convince you that you have to buy a really expensive gun to be popular and do well.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
For some, practical and quality do not compute. It seems we Americans get real wrapped up in the belief "if it cost more it is better." Like those bozos in congress, more Gov spending on Healthcare has just got to be better. :roll: Oh Boy, that is another can of worms best handled elsewhere. Sorry, it just rolled off the 'ole key board.

I would not trade my RL for any reason.