Ruger selling SR-556 gas-piston upper receivers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
PRESS RELEASE:

Dear Media Professional,

Ruger Offers Piston Driven Uppers for SR-556 AR Platform

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR), announces the availability of three, AR-style upper receiver assemblies featuring the innovative two-stage, piston driven performance of the SR-556® family. These rugged and reliable SR-556 piston driven uppers run cleaner, cooler, and are easier to maintain than traditional gas driven systems, offering significantly improved reliability. SR-556 upper assemblies will be available through firearms retailers and ShopRuger.com.

Now all AR owners can enjoy the features of the SR-556 platform, including the patent pending two-stage piston driven operating system that provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the action and vents combustion residue out of the bottom of the gas block. The four-position adjustable gas regulator allows the operator to tune the rifle to specific ammunition and rifle conditions, minimizing recoil and maximizing reliability and long-term endurance. Reliability is further enhanced by a one-piece bolt carrier with an integral transfer key. Designed for long-lasting accuracy, the chrome lined barrels are cold hammer-forged from Mil-Spec 41V45 Chrome-Moly-Vanadium steel.

The standard SR-556 upper chambered in 5.56 mm NATO/.223 features a heavy contour, 16.1" barrel with a 1:9 twist rate, and is capped with a Mini-14/SR-556 flash suppressor mounted on 1/2-28 threads. A one-piece, ten-inch quad rail handguard provides ample room for mounting sights, optics and accessories. Made exclusively for Ruger, this SR-556-specific handguard is pinned to the upper receiver, creating a near-monolithic upper receiver assembly and providing a rugged mounting system for the piston driven transfer rod.

A carbine-length version of the popular SR-556 two-stage, piston driven AR-style upper is also available. The carbine upper features a heavy contour, fluted barrel that is 1-3/4" shorter and a half-pound lighter than the barrel on the standard SR-556. The 1:9 twist rate, 16.1" barrel on the carbine features an integrally machined flash suppressor, which minimizes the overall length of the barrel while complying with ATF regulations for civilian and commercial sales. This carbine version maintains the mid-length gas system and heavy (.850") barrel contour under the handguard, but the barrel is fluted for weight reduction and to promote barrel cooling.

Those seeking to equip their modern rifle with ample power for hunting medium-sized game or greater muzzle and downrange energy capability for defensive or tactical roles can select an upper chambered in the capable 6.8 SPC caliber. The SR-556/6.8 features upper features a heavy contour, 1:10 twist barrel with a standard SAAMI 6.8 SPC chambering. The chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged barrel is 16.12" long, is threaded 5/8-24, and is capped with the effective and distinctive Mini-14/SR-556 flash suppressor.

All three uppers are equipped with folding, back-up iron sights. These rugged, high-quality sights co-witness with Mil-Spec optics, and are easily removed or replaced. The sights can be folded down with the push of a button, or quickly flipped up with your thumbs. The windage adjustable rear sight includes an instantly converted short and long-range aperture, and the protected front sight is elevation adjustable.

Durability and performance of the SR-556 is enhanced with the use of high-performance finishes: The barrel and gas block are chrome lined, while the piston, bolt, bolt carrier, and extractor are chrome plated. The piston driven transfer rod is electroless nickel/Teflon coated. The flash hider and the exterior of the barrel, gas block, and regulator are manganese phosphate coated. All aluminum parts are Mil-Spec hard coat anodized.

The SR-556 rifle and carbine uppers chambered in 5.56mm NATO are shipped with three, thirty-round Magpul PMAG™ magazines. These lightweight magazines feature a storage/dust cover, a stainless steel spring, and a self-lubricating, anti-tilt follower. The 6.8 SPC chambered upper is shipped with one five-round magazine and two twenty-five round magazines. Three rail covers, provided with each upper, provide a comfortable ergonomic hold when carrying or shooting. All Uppers are shipped in a padded carry case that features the Ruger logo, hook-and-loop fasteners to stabilize the rifle within the case, and internal magazine pockets.

For more information on the cooler cleaner performing AR uppers from Ruger, or to learn more about the extensive line of Ruger firearms, visit www.Ruger.com. To find accessories for the SR-556 Uppers or other Ruger firearms, visit www.ShopRuger.com.

As always, thanks for your continued support!

Ruger

This email was sent to [email protected] by [email protected].
Privacy Policy.

Ruger Firearms | Lacey Place | Southport | CT | 06890

142.jpg

mrwickwire

Bearcat
I am glad to hear this, but I wish they offered a model with a 1:7 twist! But, the 6.8 upper seems good to go.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
mattsbox99 said:
I got the email too... at $1200 a pop, I won't be ordering one but its nice that they are offered.
:shock: You're kidding me!

I got the mail too, but didn't open it since I saw it here.

Considering you can get a whole rifle for a lot less than $1200, I'm appalled. Yes, I realize that $750-or-so gun won't have the SR-556 gas system, but if Ruger thinks that's worth the price differential they can kiss my patootie.

(BTW, my spell checker thinks "patootie" should be "Patriotic". :)).

-- Sam

sargents1

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam said:
mattsbox99 said:
I got the email too... at $1200 a pop, I won't be ordering one but its nice that they are offered.
:shock: You're kidding me!

I got the mail too, but didn't open it since I saw it here.

Considering you can get a whole rifle for a lot less than $1200, I'm appalled. Yes, I realize that $750-or-so gun won't have the SR-556 gas system, but if Ruger thinks that's worth the price differential they can kiss my patootie.

(BTW, my spell checker thinks "patootie" should be "Patriotic". :)).

-- Sam

Well, lets not get too carried away here. Ruger also lists the MSRP on a P90 as something like 550$ but I dont think anyone has ever paid that much for one. I would guess that these new stand-alone uppers will sell for considerably less than the 1200$ MSRP. Suppose the Upper was 8-900$ and it comes with the Troy sights, quad rail and the other goodies. That would be a lot more tolerable.

RJ556

Buckeye
I looked on the Ruger web site and they list the uppers for $1449.00 Wow! I really don't think we'll see them for $800 to $900. I know they are nice quality uppers, but $800 would be about my upper limit that I would pay for one. That's a lot for half of a rifle, even if it is the BIG half.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I own a Harley, but I could have bought a Yamasaki cheaper. I own a GMC pickup, but could have bought a Dodge cheaper. I own a Suburban, but could have bought a Kia Sportage cheaper. I own Craftsman and Snap-On tools, but could have bought Taiwan stuff cheaper. My bench screwdrivers are from Brownell's instead of WalMart. The list can go on forever.

No matter the product, you can always find a cheaper version. To some folks, price is everything, but to me, I never did want the cheapest of anything. You never regret buying the best.

mattsbox99

Hunter
You'll get no argument from me on the quality of your tools, Jeff. In fact, its wise advice that I learned from my Grandpa and Dad. However, I'm just not in the market for a $1200 upper from anyone. I don't even like ARs that much. If I did ever buy one it would be the 6.8 version, but there are a whole lot more Rugers on the list of things I want before that.

Heck, I hope Ruger sells a ton of them. DI uppers that don't include sights or threaded barrels are $800+ so the Ruger isn't out of line for a high quality piston with the very nice Troy sights and threaded barrel, and an unbeatable warranty.

RJ556

Buckeye
Jeff, I'm a "quality" guy too. If you think $1449.00 for an ar15 type upper is not somewhat over priced, that's fine. I just think it is.

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Mr Quinn,

I hope this wasn't one of the four you were talking of! I wouldn't consider this a gun, just an accessory!

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
jgr1974 said:
Mr Quinn,

I hope this wasn't one of the four you were talking of! I wouldn't consider this a gun, just an accessory!

It is not.
Also, I think that a fellow can buy one of these uppers for close to $1100 or so, and the dealer still make a decent profit.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
RJ556 said:
I looked on the Ruger web site and they list the uppers for $1449.00 Wow! I really don't think we'll see them for $800 to $900. I know they are nice quality uppers, but $800 would be about my upper limit that I would pay for one. That's a lot for half of a rifle, even if it is the BIG half.

I think that is about the same price as I can buy the full ruger SR556 for from the local FFL dealer.

Charlie

mohavesam

Hawkeye
If it were a full-length barrel suitable for hunting, I might consider paying $8-900. But I have no use for the shorty GIJoey version.
Ruger marketing strikes again!

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Jeff, I can buy a Rock River Varmint quality upper for $659 off of their website. I can get a Stag, DPMS, or Bushy upper for even less. All of those are top quality items. No, they do not include the whiz-bang Ruger gas system, but that system alone is not worth another $6-700, at least to me.

You can buy complete guns from any of these manufacturers for what Ruger is asking for this upper. Even if the sale price is $1100, that's still twice as much as the competition.

Hey, I can afford nice stuff too, and always buy quality when I can afford it. Given Ruger's recent issues with lack of QC, etc, I don't see where I'm guaranteed extra quality just by buying the name. And as stated, for me the gas system doesn't warrant the absurdly high price.

And unfortunately I have to agree about the GIJoey/Tacticool angle. 'Tis sad and unfortunate, but it appears 99% of tomorrow's shooters are attracted to the sport based on this stereotype. Glocks and ARs rule! Oh well, maybe it'll leave some nice wood-stocked weapons for the rest of us.

-- Sam

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I did some digging, and found out that no one is required to buy one of these. The press release was just to announce that Ruger is offering these for sale to those who WANT one.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Jeff Quinn said:
I did some digging, and found out that no one is required to buy one of these. The press release was just to announce that Ruger is offering these for sale to those who WANT one.
Note to Ruger's marketing dept: More people might WANT these things if they were priced more reasonably.

-- Sam