Ruger Security Six - 4" barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Checkman111

Bearcat
Won the bid on this Security-Six at auction for $370 last month. After the sales tax and buyer's premium I paid out approximately $420. I think that's a fair price in the current market. This particular specimen was made in (more or less) 1981. Some holster wear, but in very good condition internally. I didn't appreciate the Six models when they were being made. However, considering that most of the years that the Six series was being made, I was a child it wouldn't have mattered if I did like them. My weekly allowance was a couple dollars. That would have meant some serious savings and comic books and model airplanes were just too strong to pass up. The one photo is from the auction site. The Pachmyer grips are small grips and are now on my 2.75" Six. I moved the target grips to the 4". I'm happy since they are getting harder and harder to find.

Attachments

• 135348_xl.jpg
    135348_xl.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20220525_103157.jpg
    IMG_20220525_103157.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 153
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Very nice. I recently completed my desired trifecta of having an example of all three barrel lengths in blued Security Sixes. My 4" is my truck gun and shows some honest wear, the 2 3/4" one is near mint. The 6" is somewhere in between. Haven't even had a chance to shoot the 6" yet, but spent some range time with the 2 3/4" last Friday and got it dialed in at 15 yards. It's a little barker with full-house .357s - and I mean old-school .357s - 173 grain cast Keith bullets over a full charge of 2400. But I was surprised how well the factory Security Six grips manage the recoil - not bad at all, and they don't really bite you anywhere.

Checkman111

Bearcat
Very nice. I recently completed my desired trifecta of having an example of all three barrel lengths in blued Security Sixes. My 4" is my truck gun and shows some honest wear, the 2 3/4" one is near mint. The 6" is somewhere in between. Haven't even had a chance to shoot the 6" yet, but spent some range time with the 2 3/4" last Friday and got it dialed in at 15 yards. It's a little barker with full-house .357s - and I mean old-school .357s - 173 grain cast Keith bullets over a full charge of 2400. But I was surprised how well the factory Security Six grips manage the recoil - not bad at all, and they don't really bite you anywhere.
Yes I understand about wanting the trifecta. A few years ago I completed my S&W Model 19 trifecta. Now I'm on the lookout for a blued Security Six with 6" barrel. My S&W Model 19 trio. Just because.

Attachments

• IMG_20211222_153315.jpg
    IMG_20211222_153315.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 107

Checkman111

Bearcat
Looks like a great addition! I have always wanted a 4" Security Six, one of those still looking for when not wanting something else more.
It came along when I wasn't looking for something else. So naturally I acquired it.

Ride1949

Hunter
Great deal on, what seems to have become, a hard to find revolver. It's been on my wish list for some time now.

Checkman111

Bearcat
Great deal on, what seems to have become, a hard to find revolver. It's been on my wish list for some time now.
I became a consistent buyer of firearms starting in 2000 and I recall seeing various six models in the used display cases on a frequent basis. I wasn't interested at the time. By the time I started coming around to the Security-Six series (about five years ago) they had dried up. I was lucky to get the two I now own. Couple years ago I bid on a stainless Service Six with 4" bl NIB, but when the bidding blew past $800 I was done.

SCCWP

Bearcat
Very nice Security Six! I recently bought one that is near mint but I paid more then you did. That looks like a great deal.

Latest posts