Ruger SA Production Schedule

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stantheman1986

Single-Sixer
If they're selling more cheap plastic autochuckers, those will be Priority over trickling out $800-1200 thumb busters

Plus every gun maker apparently needs 5 kinds of auto loading .22 pistol in every color from pink to FDE

dddddmorgan

Bearcat
Well some stuff must be getting through, here in Boise Idaho I found a 45 Bisley in stainless with the extra 45 ACP cylinder. The price was full bore MSRP but I actually found it three times (three different stores) and one of them was $98 less.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ruger doesn't release it's production schedule, nor it's numbers.

Due to the covid crap,, many of their lower selling lines were down & guns were not produced. At one point, I think as many as 65% of the employees were "out" due to covid. And building guns isn't an easy skill to get new people to do with production numbers that need to be met.
It's been a slow process to get their manufacturing lines up & going again. And yes,, as noted,, the desires for the less expensive & easier to make models that SELL quicker get the attention first.
Add in the lack of raw materials,, supply chain issues,, and it's an uphill climb to produce a model that SELLS quickly.
Thrown in the FACT that even if they make 1000 .45 Colt Vaquero's,, with a 5-1/2" barrel,, buyers will say; "I wanted a Blackhawk," or "I wanted a Bisley," or "I want one with a 7-1/2" barrel," or "I wanted it in blue,, not stainless" etc.
Ruger has to look at what SELLS fast enough to make building them profitable.

But,, have patience,, as they are getting more & more of their products back into production.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Well, 5 months ago I bought this new Blackhawk .357 from Grabagun. (Just put the Altamont wood on it).
So they have been making some new "real" revolvers.

9208045A-B95A-4A41-ACDF-A69D58352E78.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
I understand the stuff about the excuse of Covid.
BUT,, many people CHOSE to NOT go back to work expecting free money from the government like they did during the covid crap. And many people also found out they could get a job working from home & make money, so they didn't go back to work.
Skilled labor takes time & training to get back up to speed, especially in a place that builds firearms.
Plus,, to work in a place like Ruger,, you have to pass a background check, drug testing AND be able to learn a skill.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Ruger may be less at fault than the distributors for creating artificial scarcity by "allocating" all the desirable models so they are only available to the deep pocket high volume dealers who can buy a dozen Wranglers or LCRs to get the privilege of buying one or two Blackhawks or Vaqueros. I'm a small-time FFL with no storefront and I haven't been able to buy any good new Rugers for years, so all my money goes to buying used stuff.

Some of the manufactures make it worse. For instance, because I can't get Rugers, I decided to buy a couple stainless Colt Pythons since they were shown as "available" in the distributor's email, but when I called, I was told they couldn't sell to me because Colt requires "stocking dealer" status before a FFL is allowed to purchase their products.

SP101s are starting to loosen up a little. Right at this moment, I could order two barrel lengths of .357 and one .38, but those are the only revolvers available to small dealers except for Wranglers or LCRs. No Single Sixes, no Blackhawks, no Vaqueros, no Redhawks.

contender

Ruger Guru
WMG is also correct.
Small FFL's are shut out by the distributors all the time. And even before covid. I call it; "lazy salesman." Why spend time contacting 10 small FFL's to sell a few guns to each one,, when they can sell the whole allocation to one or two big dealers,, and be done?

Ruger fills orders from distributors. The distributors handle the allocation of who gets what.

hittman

Staff member
Ruger could surely set some rules for their distributor network.
Can only assume they don't care or don't see it as a problem.
I'd guess Ruger has no problem today selling every single gun they make.
That can make for lazy salespeople and a complacent company if not careful.
Ask several hundred FORMER Harley Davidson dealers.

DutchV

Bearcat
I've also noticed quite a few .357 Magnum eight-shot Redhawks for sale. Those were pretty rare until a few months ago.

Now if they'd just make some more Redhawks in .45 Colt with 5.5" barrels.

Interesting. My local Sportsman's has a couple blued .357 Vaqueros in stock. I asked him about the Super Wrangler- he said they won't see those for awhile. They order in huge quantities so they always get their stock after all the smaller orders ship. Seems backwards to me…