Ruger rings again :

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Balto

Bearcat
I read the question from 4MUL8R, and the answers he got. Is i right that there is a height difference between the front and the rear ring ? Wich one is highest ?

I have two No. 1`s, and some different rings for them, 1" and 30 mm, high rings, medim, and so on.
Are the No. 1 rings interchangeable with the model 77 rings ?????

Nice to know the answer, since I`ve just ordered my first bolt action Ruger, a Hawkeye Sporter in 270 Win.

Don`t get it before May, though. 270 Win isn`t very popular over here, don`t know why. So I had to get it ordered from the US. :?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
The 77 rings are different. The front and back of the receiver on the 77 are different heights therefore the rings are slightly different heights. The back ring is the higher of the two. Your gun should come with rings but they will be high rings.

I am surprised you can even order a 270. I thought all you were allowed to hunt with over there was a 6.5x55 :lol:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
To clarify, the M77 uses different height rings, but they are the same rings that are used on the No.1 and all other Ruger products. They are interchangeable. You just need to use a set on the M77 that has the one level difference(1/8") in them. Granted, there are at least 4 different finishes on them; blue, matte, stainless and grey.

mcknight77

Blackhawk
Ruger has recently started numbering their rings and selling them individually. Older rings will not have a number, even though they are identical. Ruger's website has a table to explain which rings fit which application. Rings included with a new rifle will be correct for that application. If you buy a used gun, the rings will probably not be numbered, but as stated above, No.1s take two of the same height and M77s take two of different heights.

Balto

Bearcat
Thanx guys ! That explained it all.
About the hight of the rings on my ordered Ruger: The Norwegian importer delievers the Ruger with optional rings. 1", 30 mm, high medium low. I You can chose rings, I think he has a whole lot of rings, so he can deliever what you want.

For my Ruger I ordered medium height 1" rings. Going to mount my Swarowski 4 - 12 X 50 on it. The first hunt with the new rifle will be for wild bore in Sweden in july / august, Loocking forward to it already. Me and a hunting buddy went there last fall. Didn`t get any bore, but I got a deer and we got some ducks.
This year we`ll hunt for wild bore in the evening, and shoot pidgeons on farmland during the day.
You can hunt the wild bore most of the year (at least the male bore). Large numbers of pidgeons are eating the farmers crops, so you can hunt them in summer to.

Balto

Bearcat
mike7mm08 :

That`s almost true. :!: Gun shops usually have 6,5x55, 308 Win and 30-06 Sprng in stock, nothing else. There are exceptions, but mostly. So I either have to buy a used 30-06 and rebarrel, or order and wait for a new one in .270. Think it`s easier for the gun shops that way, to keep just a few calibers in stock. Strange, because there are a great number og hunters and shooters in Scandinavia.

Another thing is that a 140 grain bullet at a certain speed is required for big game hunting. You can hunt the Roe Deer with a 222, but for caribou, elk and moose the .260 caliber with the 140 grain bullet is the smallest.

I reload, but otherwisw it would be hard to get the ammo I wanted. Have done reloading for, and owned the 6,5X55 :lol: , 270 Win, 7mmX57R, 30-06 Sprng (several), 338 Win mag, 375 HH.

I also own a H&R single shot in 22 Hornet, but have`nt reloaded for it yet. And of course a Ruger 10/22, and a Rem 870 12 gauge.
Other cartridges I would fancy trying is: 6,5-06, 338-06, 7mm08, 7mm Rem mag.