Ruger Ring Screwdriver -- Where To Buy The Blade?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

4MUL8R

Single-Sixer
The screws on the rings are T10. No problem finding that implement. Where do I find the super-thick screwdriver blade for the base screw? I gently turned mine with a large Craftsman, but this was not optimum. I'd like one wide enough and thick enough to fill that slot.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
A decent gunsmithing screwdriver set such as Wheeler will have what you want. Those screws are about the last ones I would worry about buggering up. I don't remember the torque spec off the top of my head but they don't need to be gorilla tight. More important to make sure the cam is bottomed on the other side. I have used a quarter w/o problem.

Trey Whitley

Single-Sixer
I have the full Brownell's Magna-Tip set, and the biggest/thickest screwdriver blade is still a good bit thinner that the slot on Ruger rings. It's what I use to tighten them, and it works just fine, but don't buy a set of gunsmithing tools because you expect a perfect fit on the rings.

But as Sam said, you don't need a "perfect" driver for that job. I've never used a quarter myself (I'm guilty of looking for "gorilla tight" torque) but it's probably not a bad place to start.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
I have purchased a T handled Ruger ring tool from Brownell several years ago. made for torquing the ring mounting screw. I like it better than the screw driver route, even good gunsmith hollow ground, because it is truly a square cut blade, fits across the screw head, and has a t handle to put torque on. If I can find it I will post a URL.

Brownell does not carry, go here (B-Square)
http://www.opticsplanet.net/b-square-sc ... t1011.html

Hope helps. I have had mine for over 25 years, does a great job.

picketpin

Buckeye
I cheated. I took the screw to the local machine shop and had them alter a S-K big-fat-stubby screwdriver to just fit including the flat grind on the blade.

Some years later I had the custom knife maker make me a chisel grind huntng knife with, you guessed it, a scewdriver tip that fits the Ruger scope ring slotted attachment screw. Before you get all weird, it's a copy of a Navy screw driver/knife isued in WWII. It also works great for turning in Dazu fastners.

I'm afraid to look at the special tool from Brownells because I know in my heart of hearts I spent abot 4 times what I needed to.

On the other hand I got a one off tool. made to my exact specs, pride of ownership and I really do own a bunch of Rugers, which is how I justified it. It isn't like I'll ever need another one.

In early years I was known to use a quarter held in a pair of vise grips!!!

Ross

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Hey, sometimes it is not the cost, but the satisfaction of solving a problem on one's own...no matter the cost. Believe me I've been there, done that, and no regrets.

Latest posts