Ruger revolver price increase.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

prowler

Single-Sixer
Anyone notices the Ruger revolver price increase significantly, especially double action, especially GP100, SP101, Vaquero, LCR and other.

Yes. I just shake my head. I bought the 8 shot 327 blackhawk when it first came out...$600 and change is what I paid around 2011. I've been watching the used guns and they aren't much cheaper than a new one.

I don't see many revolvers these days. Then when I do, if it's a Ruger, it's probably the Wrangler. Otherwise, it's a Smith and Wesson revolver.

But to your point, yes, the revolvers I see are going up in price.

I was in a large gun store last week. They have probably sixty feet of glass display cases, all containing nothing but new black semi-auto pistols, literally hundreds of them, all makes and models and chamberings. Over in the back corner they have a single short display case holding all the revolvers, probably a couple dozen. That's it. The used gun display is all the same . . . semis, not a single revolver. :confused:

hittman

Staff member
USED guns? Not in my corner of the world.
And yeah …. New revolvers are Wranglers and Heritage only. Maybe a snubbie Taurus.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
A few revolvers at on LGS... a Colt Python 6", Colt King Cobra 3", and Taurus 608 4" the rest were Charter Arms 2.5" snub nose
but no Rugers 🤠

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I've noticed too. I guess it's good for those of us who have one or more in the safe and are not buying. I complained 10 years ago when I spent $800 on my new .44 mag Redhawk. Less sad about it now. lol.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
I just came back from another local gun store, had a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum with 3 additional barrels, a Ruger GP100 6" .357 Magnum, Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, Freedom Arms 454 Casull 7.5"

Attachments

• 279809256_390326812986011_6955302563964697052_n.png
    279809256_390326812986011_6955302563964697052_n.png
    231.9 KB · Views: 211

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Gunny hit the basic underlying point ... Everything is going up period .

Guns & everything related are still in a weird spot right now . With back to back and simultaneous mass panics over " civil unrest " , and pandemic of initially unknown length or severity , every was wiped off of shelves , and drained out of commercial distribution channels at one point .

As product gradual trickles back , it is very uneven . Rationally so . every mfg is concentrating their finite production capacity on the products with the highest overall demand .

The reality is 80 % ( made up number , but reasonably close for our discussion ) of gun owners / shooters/ prospective of above , who are under 40yo . Or first came to shooting in the past 20 yrs Think that Plastic Guns are default . normal guns , and that anything else is at best being deliberately Retro , or at worst having an irrational affection . This includes most LEO who aren't dinosaurs past the usual retirement age, and increasing number of FFLs .

That said , I see plenty of revolvers and used guns . But typing this , it sank in that it's self selecting . Stores that entirely , or almost entirely carry newly mfg tacticool don't entice me to visit frequently .

( I don't begrudge modern , and own a sufficiency of modern . But once you have a enough for practical requirements , thery're not really Interesting .)

The flip side is that when such dealers do get revolvers , or generally blue steel & walnut in trade in , or a lot purchase , they don't always know what they have , and will price them at either double what they're worth , or half . Ignore the double , buy the half .

Kind of like music stores run by head bangers , who get Resonators or Steel Guitars in trade .

johndm1967

Bearcat
My LGS is a big Ruger retailer, always has Ruger pistols and revolves in stock. They get "demo" samples in from time to time, absolutely nothing wrong and usually significant discount (TALO GP100 6" SS cost me $550). But yes, their prices are also going up. Met with CEO of Ruger, asked what happened to 44 Special GP100, he said they just don't have the man power and materials to run many of them, must be very selective in what they produce.

NC FNS

Single-Sixer
I saw used S&W 65-5 and 65-6 revolvers a few weeks back for $500 on a big online seller's site. That price is starting to look better with each day that passes. Of course, the dollar is worth less with each day that passes also, so maybe it's a wash.

mjh

Single-Sixer
Only revolvers I've seen in stores lately have been Heritage Rough Riders, Wranglers, and some Kimber's. The Kimber's are enticing but I'm really interested in a blued SP101 the 15707 model tics off a lot of boxes for me. Don't know that I will ever see one in a store? And I'm pretty darn sure I'll be paying more than I did for the last Ruger revolver I bought.

Last edited:

wellthought

Bearcat
I was surprised to see that the price of a new Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" .44 magnum is upwards of $1,100. Years ago I paid $800 for mine. It's nice to know that the value of mine seems to be keeping up with inflation.

IKE

Single-Sixer
I was surprised to see that the price of a new Ruger Super Redhawk 7.5" .44 magnum is upwards of $1,100. Years ago I paid $800 for mine. It's nice to know that the value of mine seems to be keeping up with inflation.

It was a used minty 1989 model but $800.00 is what I paid for my KRH-44R 7.5" Redhawk earlier this week from a local fella and I was happy to get it.

I don't know what the deal is but other than .22LR there have been no Ruger revolvers on the shelf locally to purchase for about 1 1/2 years or more.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
My store is empty as well. One 70s vintage Python and a well used Model 10 that probably sold yesterday as it soaked on the shelf more than a day. The only things new that came in was an LCRX and a few S&W air weights. I haven't seen a new full size revolver from Ruger or Smith in over a year. Other than the Wranglers.