Ruger report(sadly)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Been shooting my entire life and have had many many Rugers, loved them all but these 2 new ones are a pain in the butt. Have the 22/45 with bull barrel, and 10/22, syn stock etc. cleaned them well, 3 trips to the range and both rarely run a mag through without a ftf or fte. I shoot CCI, Win & Fed shells and all same problems with all. My grandson sat beside me and shot 500 through his little Marlin 795 without a hiccup from same brands of shells. Bout had it with Rugers. I took the LCI tab off, same problem either way.

joshheat25

Bearcat
hmm I bought a 10/22 at wallyworld, last fall and it shoots great I think I've only ever had 1 jam. thats it.

Wobble

Bearcat
I'm not sure I would be so quick to blame Ruger products. The vast majority of people have no problems but in my experience with the Mark III series including the 22/45 is that they can sometimes be sensitive to very small things that can be easily remedied. My MKIII was sensitive to some ammo which was cured with the well-known magazine tweak. Others have found success with removing the LCI tab or simply changing ammo.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
My mark III probably has one jam every 50-75 rds or so. 10/22 has 600 rds through it with no jams so far. Blazer Brass is the most reliable, Remington thunderbolt is the most problamatic in mark III.

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Wish I could be more help. The only 10/22 I ever had any trouble with was a WWS that I bought new. It would jam from time to time in the first couple hundred rounds. After a good clean and lube job, and a few hundred rounds that went away and never came back.

Same thing basically with a MK III, 22/45. It started to jam on me at least once per magazine. I realized it was dry as a bone, put a couple drops of oil on it and VOLA. It ran like a watch.

I'm not saying that's all that's wrong with yours. I'm sure you've thought of clean and lube, but that's my experience.

Can you give some more details about how they're malfunctioning? Maybe some pictures. Somebody here will have seen it before and know how to fix it I'm sure.

Hef

Bearcat
Wobble":1chn95xz said:
I'm not sure I would be so quick to blame Ruger products. The vast majority of people have no problems but in my experience with the Mark III series including the 22/45 is that they can sometimes be sensitive to very small things that can be easily remedied. My MKIII was sensitive to some ammo which was cured with the well-known magazine tweak. Others have found success with removing the LCI tab or simply changing ammo.

It gets old quick when people defend a company that continues to put a product out that has known problems. Who should he blame besides Ruger; it's not his fault the gun doesn't work? Fixing a defective mag or are you kidding me taking the LCI tab out!!! That is NOT the consumers responsibility.There are many, many known problems with Ruger mags and LCI problems, Ruger quality control is lacking. In March of this year I bought a MK lll; this gun would not cycle a complete mag without a FTE, I send it back to Ruger for repair. They sent it back to me saying it was repaired and functioning properly.....not so. It was still doing the same exact thing! After a call to management at Ruger I was told the gun would be repaired or replaced and after the second trip to Ruger it is functioning as a new gun should. Don't get me wrong I do really like the MK lll, but grew very frustrated with having to send the gun back twice.

See my Jam-O-Matic post on page one for pics on exactly what my gun was doing.

Hef

Bearcat
cherokeeXJ.45":cwgylw6i said:
Buy old ones, they're better. :wink:

You're absolutely right, I had a MK ll about 15 years ago that would eat any ammo that you fed it. I never had a problem with that gun....man why did I ever sell it! Why mess up a good thing(LCI)?

FunkyD

Bearcat
I bought a new 10/22 back in February, and it's had about 1k rounds through it with no issues at all. Eats T-bolts, Federals, Blazers, you name it.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I hate to Rosie O'Donnell about things like that and I'm sure most of them shoot great. Problem is with the same shells my Buckmark hasn't jammed in many hundreds of rounds and my grandson's Marlin never jams, not once. I keep things clean and organized, golf stuff, fishin stuff etc. Just frustrating is all. Best to all of you.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
LCI = loaded chamber indicator. The original LCI was a single piece & was found to be able to fire a chambered cartridge when struck. It was brought to Ruger's attention by a member of the MKII forum ( I think it was "Bullseye" ) & they redesigned it to it's current configuration. A lot of folks just remove it.

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
The MkIII is the saddest piece of machinery Ruger has ever done. I wouldn't own one if you gave it to me. IMO, they ruined a perfect .22 target pistol (the MkII) with this latest lawyer gun. Sorry, but it is what it is. Ruger, shame on you. You broke the golden rule of business---"Don't mess with success."

I have owned MkI & II's for 30 years, thanks to the MkIII I now own a Browning Buckmark.

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Amen. I have three MK-II's that I will never part with. Ruger quickly made these changes to the MK-II format right when California passed that requirement for a LCI and mag disconnect. IIRC, it was Gray Davis (then Governor) who signed that bill.

Instead of doing a "wait and see" like other manufacturers, Ruger quickly jumped on this and produced the MK-III with all these ridiculous features. Sometime after, California changed the requirements for 22 rimfires to require only either a magazine disconnect or LCI, but not both. But oh well, the MK-III was already out.

I too will never buy a MK-III. Ruger truly went into the wrong direction on this one. Every now and then I hear a few MK-III owners who say their gun works 100%, but that seems to be the minority.

steveinaz

Single-Sixer
It makes you wonder where they get their marketing research people...

If the firearms industry doesn't give up on Kali, they are going to bury themselves over 1 states rediculous requirements.

zenbiker

Bearcat
Now that I removed the LCI tab my MKIII is flawless no matter what ammo I use. I'm sorry for those that have continuing problems despite this fix and they really are unacceptable. Why doesn't Ruger acknowledge the problems with this gun? The company must see the number of complaints it is receiving with respect to misfires with this item. I can tell you that now that mine is functioning correctly, it is just a joy to shoot and one of my favorite guns..

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Hef":2c5vlqmu said:
It gets old quick when people defend a company that continues to put a product out that has known problems. Who should he blame besides Ruger; it's not his fault the gun doesn't work?.

A few months ago I bought my father a Browning Buckmark camper. I really liked the feel of the gun, and so did my father.

First trip to the range, and it a little bit of a pain. Every 2-3 rounds it would stove-pipe or fail to cycle, or jam. Went home and did a quick search on the internet, and found that with the Buckmark, it is a common issue, you need to shoot a few hundred rounds of hyper velocity ammunition through it to get things to loosen up. We tried stingers first, the gun would eject them fairly reliably, but the brass would fall at your feet. I had to order a few boxes of the Agula Hyper Velocity ammunition to get the spring to wear in.

Then I did a little more searching, and found that the plastic rear sight base is prone to cracking when it is hit by ejecting shells, or if not handled very gingerly when removed from the holster. I then called and ordered the replacement metal parts from Browning, and that cost me almost $70. I was not there to put the parts on my fathers guns, so I sent them to my father to put on. After my father installed them, it appears that Browning sent the wrong front sight, as now with the rear sight cranked all the way down, the pistol still shoots 2-1/2" high at 25 yards.

I was not all that iritated by the poor cyclinig of the gun, as it just needed to be worn in. I was a little bit iritated that I had to special order the highest power hyper velocity ammunition to get it to cycle correctly. I was rather iritated that I had to order parts from Browning to replace the substandard parts included with the pistol, and I am extremely iritated that Browning could not send me the right parts after I paid them $70.

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
ftlupton,
I am not sure what the issue is with your 10/22.

On the MKIII try shooting hyper velocity ammunition through it. If that works continue for a total of 200-300 round. After that high velocity ammunition should have no problems. If that does not solve the issue, then it might be a magazine issue, or an extractor issue. If it is the extractor, then it should only cost you $10 for the one someone mentioned above. Rimfire Sports even has free shipping.

At any rate at least it should not cost you as much to fix as it has on my buckmark that came with factory substandard parts.

sheepman

Bearcat
Lately it seams that most gun manufactures are cutting cost by cutting quality control. If you check the different forums there are a lot of topics that deal with problems that should not have left the factory. It is not just Ruger but S&W, Colt, Springfield and others. Maybe it is cheaper to pay shipping and fix the problem guns than to have trained personal to check the gun before it leaves the factory (at least in the mind of the bean counters). Also new designs are being tested less be for production which leads to recalls (or out right denials of problems). If you don't buy from these companies then all there is are used guns because this seams to be the current trend. JMHO : Bill :roll: