Ruger refinish question ???????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Recent thread had Hondo44 commenting the pluses of sending a single action into Ruger for a reblue.
Sounds like a real winner but got me wondering how they deal with a polished and or a slightly reshaped grip frame. Do they leave it pinto or do they re-anodize /cerakote it ?
It seems in the past the attempt was made two return the gun to "as built" before returning. If the gun was built with a steel gripframe and has been converted to alloy is there an issue ? I suppose the same question applies to hammer swaps etc. Grips would not be an issue as a pair of factory can be easily attached before shipping but I'm guessing they would not be fond of finding free spin pawls and such.

thats a good question and one that you will not know till you actually send in the gun, and they evaluate and do what is NEEDED to make the gun fall within their specs,,,,plus if you request and pay for a "refinish"...like 'hondo' said often it is better , wiser, to remove the "old model 3 screw "parts, before you send it in, also I may add "custom" parts we tell folks to remove, same for original boxes ( Packaging) may get lost or tossed............any doubt, call and ask, get it from the horses mouth, not heresay, and wishfull thinking..........

Hondo44

Hawkeye
When sent in for refinish, Aluminum alloy grip frames will be powder coated black in the same fashion as current guns have.

You can either remove the custom parts before sending (recommended) or you'll get them back and new factory parts will be installed. They usually don't charge for replaced small new internal parts.

Ruger prefers you don't ship the gun with grips, they're afraid of misplacing them. They'll usually throw on a new pair for free.

You can call and ask about your custom grip frame. But if you have a standard grip frame, I'd install that instead. If nothing else you can resell it for top dollar because it will be like new!

Hope that's helpful

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Thanks for the insights.
Well , perhaps these guns are a can of worms best refinished locally. They were 32 vaqueros with the fading ,rusting case coloring veneer now cleaned up to a no finish shine.
A factory refinish would be great but plus the above mentioned Alloy grip frame (they came with short steel) one now has a dovetailed front sight and both have a free spin job. Not the easy to swap back pawl swap but the drilled thru the breechface set screw type.
Seems like the finish issue kind of falls in their lap as it was a crummy finish but,,,,,,,, I kind of fear how they would react to all the changes to the guns.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
1. They have refinished some of those guns with faux case colors for free due to complaints of it not lasting long, and insist on a free shipping label. They will not replace the faux colors on the frame, but blue.

2. The free spin addition you describe is the Ruger factory design, I doubt that they'll have any problem with that or the dovetailed front sight!

3. The alloy grip frame should not be a problem and it will come back black powder coated looking like new as I mentioned above. I'm guessing you didn't get the short steel grip frames with the guns. Be aware 500 blue and 500 stainless .32 Vaquerito guns came with the standard grip frames in steel which are scarce!