Ruger Redhawk "R-Models" - Another Quest Begins

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I have not seen one of these since the ealy 1990s when the Blackhawk hunters were first introduced:

krh44r-c.jpg

http://galleryofguns.com/genie/default. ... m=KRH44R-C

Are these still a regular production item? I don't have the money to buy one regardless at this point but it would make a good complement to my 44 Bisley Hunter someday.

OK, so this is a Redhawk List for me to work with...

R - Models

RH-41R - 41 Blued (Check)
KRH-41R - 41 Stainless (Check)
RH-44R - 44 Blued (Check)
KRH-44R - 44 Stainless (Check)
GKRH-44R - Gloss 44 Stainless (WANT TO BUY serial info: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54332)
KRH-45R - 45 Stainless (Check)

More Redhawk Notes:

7.5-inch Models "Non R-models"

357 - Stainless Only
-- KRH-35
41 - Stainless and Blued
-- RH-41
-- KRH-41
44 - Blued, Stainless and Gloss
-- RH-44
-- KRH-44
-- GKRH-44 (Check)
(Gloss serial info: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54332)
45 - Stainless Only

5.5-inch Models

357 Stainless Only
41 Blued and Stainless
44 Blued, Stainless and Gloss
-- RH-445
-- KRH-445
-- GKRH-445 (Check)
(Bright serial info: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=54332)
45 Stainless Only
-- KRH-455 (Check)

4-inch Models

44 Stainless
45 Colt Stainless

Super Redhawk List

44 Mag
- 7.5-inch - KSRH7
- 9.5 inch - KSRH9
- Gloss 7.5 - GKSRH-7
- Gloss 9.5 - GKSRH-9

454 Casull
- 7.5-inch - KSRH7454
- 9.5 inch - KSRH9454

480 Ruger
- 7.5-inch - KSRH7480
- 9.5 inch - KSRH9480

21-inch Super Redhawks for UK market
- KSRH-21-357 - 357 Magnum version (PHOTOS HERE!)
- KSRH-21 - 44 Mag Version

Alaskan
- 44mag
- 454 Casull
- 480 Ruger - 6 shot
- 480 Ruger - 5 shot

More details on Super Redhawks here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=55276

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Let me try to ask again, have these been available continously since they were introduced? The last one I had seem was a LONG time ago and I didn't know they were made still.

Were these ever made in 45 Colt :p

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
They have been available in 44 mag as long as I have been looking at Rugers, about 4 or 5 years, and they have a picture of one in 45 colt on the Ruger website. But I don't remember any being available in 45 colt in that time period. Redhawks were also made in 41 mag and 357 mag but I don't know if any were hunters.

http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?mo ... 3&return=Y

...perhaps some help, Jimbo

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Is the blued model still made too? I found a NIB Blued Redhawk Hunter but I am showing restraint as I am trying to pay off some Ruger related debt but that gun sure does want to go home with me :wink:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
The picture isn't there anymore. Are you discussing a Redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel, stainless with the scope mount cutouts in the barrel? Didn't the Redhawks originally come with a barrel with no cutouts?

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I can see the picture now. This gun looks like the same model I bought at the gunshow a few weeks ago. Mine didn't have the scope rings with it though.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
AkRay":3sect9gn said:
The picture isn't there anymore. Are you discussing a Redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel, stainless with the scope mount cutouts in the barrel? Didn't the Redhawks originally come with a barrel with no cutouts?

Yes, there are two versions and the one with the ring cuts has an "R" in the model designation. Otherwise, I think the guns are the same. I have been looking for them locally for now but I may expand to an internet search soon to get a set.

AkRay

Single-Sixer
Question number two: Are Ruger's handgun scope rings different from their rifle rings? If not, I have a set of rifle rings that I can put on my Redhawk so I can try it out with a scope.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
AkRay":2jtumzbz said:
Question number two: Are Ruger's handgun scope rings different from their rifle rings? If not, I have a set of rifle rings that I can put on my Redhawk so I can try it out with a scope.

Just check if your rifle has one tall and one short ring (I think Ruger 77s are like that) and if so they will not work as you need two rings the same height.

Any of the rings off the various Single Six or Blackhawk hunters will work however.

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
To date Ruger has since 1980 made 21 different regular production Redhawks in 3 finishes and 4 chamberings and 4 barrel lengths. This count includes the current 4" guns. Of these I have identified 5 regular production variations with integral scope rings. They are the KRH-45R, RH-44R, KRH-44R, RH-41R and KRH-41R. The high polished SS model GKRH-44R was rumored to have been produced with rings but this one is still eluding me if it exists at all. To try to answer the original post, the ringed Redhawks were shipped with same height rings Part No (S or KS)100RH which also fit the NO 1's, No 3's, Ranch Rifles and others. The .44 Mag Redhawk is the only chambering that has been made continuously since 1980.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
FLHT1983":3m2sasgz said:
<snip> ... Of these I have identified 5 regular production variations with integral scope rings. They are the KRH-45R, RH-44R, KRH-44R, RH-41R and KRH-41R. The high polished SS model GKRH-44R was rumored to have been produced with rings but this one is still eluding me if it exists at all. ...<snip>

Thanks, five guns (possibly six) to look for is in reach to go with the blackhawks :wink:

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
And another bad habbit starts...

I swung by one of my favorite fun shops and I picked up a 1996 made RH-44R(Blued Redhawk 44 Mag with rings) with only the slightest turn ring and absolutely prestine finish. It was also equiped with a new condition Leupold M8-2x Extended ER scope.

The gun was $449 (with scope mounted in Ruger Rings) and I have really been trying to pay off some Ruger caused debt but damn the scope costs $299 so let's say I have $150 into a new gun.

I just didn't have the will power to walk away. No box or papers and it has a set of Pachmar grips but that is fine as this is going to be a shooter.

I will have to work on photos at some point but damn I need to learn to just walk away but I couldn't walk away from this one :roll:

Edit, Here is a pic:

rh-44r-001.jpg

Gun is better then the pic (darn inside lighting) and my first Redhawk (assuming my 454 Super Redhawk isn't a Redhawk).

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
I am not proactively working to build a Redhawk "R" collection but as I find decent deals I am going to try to get the set of these as well...

Well, I have added two more to my growing Ruger Collection:

KRH-45R (New In Box)
pix390924531.jpg

RH-41R (Used and I will use her)
rh-41r.jpg

So, I need the following now to have a set of these to go with my Single Action Hunters :oops:

KRH-41R
KRH-44R

From what I have seen, the two I need should be easy to buy as I have seen both of these for sale on a regular basis but tight funds have kept me from buying them. I hope to have the KRH-41R by the end of the year if not much sooner.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ahh, Rodbuster416 finally brought it up. I do remember that model.
I would like to make a SMALL distinction. The Redhawks with rings were not called "Hunter" models. They were built for the hunting crowd, but Ruger never hung the moniker of "Hunter" on them except for that special edition, cased & scoped "Whitetail Hunter" they briefly offered. That gun had a scope with it that had the Ruger eagle on the scope adjustment caps as well. Quite a nice package as I recall.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Yea, that was an insane deal but now it has me working on buying a set of these "R" Redhawks and it is hurting the averages.

If I can ask another question of the Redhawk experts, I understand from my various reading that the RH-41R is the rarest of the Redhawk Rs so when I found the one I bought I didn't hesitate even though it is clearly a shooter piece.

I read somewhere these were only made from about 1984 to 1991 and it was posted that the production numbers were about 5000-guns total which I assume is both Stainless and Blued with the blued guns being the most uncommon.

I thought I knew where I could get a nice KRH-41R but that gun got sold which may well be good as I need something to keep me searching or I will start trying to collect something new next. God, please save me from myself!

Latest posts