Ruger Redhawk 8 Shot 357 vs Ruger GP100 7 Shot 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44Alaskan

Bearcat
From a novice doing his homework:

Redhawk- The grip has steel exposed on the back which tranfers energy to the web of the hand between the thumb and pointing finger causing blisters and cuts. A few shots are fine. A glove can be worn while praticing at the range. One spring is used for the hammer and trigger, cannot lighten one without lightening the other causing potential light primer strikes. At the stores while dryfiring the factory trigger, it feels nice, smooth, and light enough. 8 shots of 357 magnum would be nice. 4.2 inch barrel, 44 ounces, 9.5 inches long, MSRP $1079.

GP100- The hogue rubber grip is thick and absorbs lots of recoil. The hammer and trigger springs are seperate and can be lightened without effecting one another. 7 shots will do. 4.2 inch barrel, 40 ounces, 9.5 inches long, MSRP $899.

NikA

Buckeye
A couple observations:

Redhawk: grips are available which cover the backstrap, but you will probably find that this is a non-issue with the .357M. It hasn't been an issue for me unless shooting prolonged (~100+ rounds) sessions with grips that are finished smooth from the factory. I suspect the weight Ruger gives for the 4.2" model is also incorrect; it's the same as the 2.75" and 5oz lighter than the 5.5", which is not consistent with the other models. Real weight is probably closer to 47oz.

GP-100: thinner and lighter than the Redhawk. Proper way to deal with trigger weight issues on both guns is carefully cleaning up the internals with stones and fine sandpaper/polishing compound. Wide variety of grips available, larger tolerance for fitment in most cases.

The capacity of one versus the other is pretty irrelevant outside of gaming, I would say. If in the real world it comes down to a difference of 1 or even 2 rounds, you'd better be practicing speed loads or carrying a more powerful cartridge.

mk70ss

Bearcat
What is the purpose of this gun. If it will be a CCW, the GP100 is the obvious choice. If it will be a hunting or home defense piece, the Redhawk would make sense. If it is just a range toy to shoot for enjoyment, pick the one you like better based on grips, sights, and feel. My $ .02

s4s4u

Hunter
For the sake of one round, I would go with the GP. More grip options and better trigger feel, to me anyway. Lighter weight is a bonus.

44Alaskan

Bearcat
NikA said:
A couple observations:

Redhawk: grips are available which cover the backstrap, but you will probably find that this is a non-issue with the .357M. It hasn't been an issue for me unless shooting prolonged (~100+ rounds) sessions with grips that are finished smooth from the factory. I suspect the weight Ruger gives for the 4.2" model is also incorrect; it's the same as the 2.75" and 5oz lighter than the 5.5", which is not consistent with the other models. Real weight is probably closer to 47oz.

GP-100: thinner and lighter than the Redhawk. Proper way to deal with trigger weight issues on both guns is carefully cleaning up the internals with stones and fine sandpaper/polishing compound. Wide variety of grips available, larger tolerance for fitment in most cases.

The capacity of one versus the other is pretty irrelevant outside of gaming, I would say. If in the real world it comes down to a difference of 1 or even 2 rounds, you'd better be practicing speed loads or carrying a more powerful cartridge.

Realguns.com Article states the acual weight of the 2.75 is 44 ounces, 4.2 inch is 48 ounces, and 5.5 inch is 50 ounces.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
It looks like this gun is aimed at the competitive market. It will be great for Steel Challenge matches and ICORE. Looks like a great change for the Smith & Wesson line that dominate in those sports.

If I was still shooting center fire I'd buy one in an instant but these days I only shoot rimfire.

Mus408

Hunter
I'm just going to hang on to my outdated S&W Model 66 with 4 inch barrel ! Got my LCR .357 for "social work".

22/45 Fan

Hunter
AzShooter1 said:
It looks like this gun is aimed at the competitive market. It will be great for Steel Challenge matches and ICORE. Looks like a great change for the Smith & Wesson line that dominate in those sports.

If I was still shooting center fire I'd buy one in an instant but these days I only shoot rimfire.
Yeah, that's what I concluded too. I can't tell if the 4.2" and 5.5" barrel guns are cut for moon clips. The Ruger site is specific that the 2-3/4" guns are but doesn't say anything about the longer barrel guns. The clips wouldn't be an advantage for Steel Challenge or ICOR since reloading speed isn't needed but would be a big advantage for other speed events where the course of fire can require more than 6 rounds and reloading speed is essential.

My rimfire Steel Challenge guns are a MkIV and 10/22 both with red dots. My only Centerfire gun is a S&W M&P9 also with a red dot that is classified as CO.