Ruger redhawk 4"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Geri

Bearcat
Anyone have any experience with the ruger redhawk four inch barrel? How good do they shoot. Input welcome. Thanks

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I have this model of revolver and really like it. Took a little getting used to and found I had to modify the factory setting of the adjustable rear sight. Seemed to be shooting low and to the left. Adjusted it a little to center it laterally, but had to adjust a good pit to raise the elevation of POI.

Was suspecting that some of this was me and not necessarily all the revolver. Now that I've shot it some, and more accustomed to it, I've found that I had to re-adjust the elevation a little back to its original setting, but is still has a fair amount of elevation adjustment from factory setting.

Ron is right...the open backstrap can result in a pretty sore thumb pad in your palm after shooting 25 or more rounds. I wish the Redhawk had the same grip profile of the Hogue setup on the Super Redhawk.

I recently bought a pair of shooting gloves and used them for the first time last Sunday...made a world of difference. Shot through a box of 50, 44 magnum rounds, and left the range with no noticeable discomfort to the hand.

The Gloves I bought :

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... tegory0609

Besides that, if you do a lot of target shooting with these large magnum guns it is not really good for small bones and joint in the wrist. Good to wear the shooting glove when at the range.

I wouldn't consider the 4" barrel a hunting revolver, per se...to me, the hunting revolver barrel length begins at 5-1/2". That being said, it could be a fine backup sidearm for a hunter. But, for the backcountry defensive carry I purchased the Redhawk 4" for, I believe it has been an excellent choice.

Regards,

MD

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I've owned a 4" Redhawk in 44 mag for well over a year. I have found it to be an excellent revolver in every way. It's easy to carry when you need a sidearm for the outdoors. It is a great all round revolver that can even be concealed carried if necessary. The 4" barrel seems to be a great compromise making it easy to carry, while still giving decent ballistics without too much muzzle blast and a decent sighting radius.

Shooting wise I've found mine to be accurate and have a good trigger pull despite all the remarks you hear to the contrary. Like any gun it has ammo it prefers. For general use the Magtech 240 gr SJSP is very accurate and relatively mild for recoil. Hornady 300 gr XTP's also group well. I didn't find the PMC 240 gr SJSP's worked as well in mine I had a bigger group but they are quite a bit hotter than the Magtech so recoil was considerably more.

While I can shoot well with the standard Hogue grips and haven't found them to be as bad as others have, I'm of the opinion there must be something better out there from a recoil absorbing point of view that would cover the backstrap, I just haven't taken the plunge yet.

You didn't say if you were looking at the 44 mag or 45 LC. I don't know if Ruger have got the dimensions for the cylinder throat right for that round yet. I see a lot of discussion on getting that modiifed before they shoot accurately, so you might want to find out what current thinking on that is, if you are in the market for the 45.

Geri

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. I am looking at the 44 mag. Intend to carry it when I am out and about. Used to have a smith 29 with a 6" barrel, but sold it and am looking for a 4" now. The ruger seems to fit the bill.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Based on what your reasons for purchasing it are...I would say it is a fine choice.

Regards,

MD

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
IMO the 4" Redhawk has to be one of the best all round guns ever. It might be a "jack of all trades, but master of none", but just look at what you get in one package.

A handgun that can be easily carried and fairly easily concealed
A handgun capable of dealing with most threats you are likely to face in the USA
SA/DA. I know this is a hot potato and subject to personal taste/opinion, but for all round use, I prefer to have the DA available.
A super strong, reliable, long lasting 44 mag
A revolver that can handle the hottest 44 mag loads
A revolver that could be used for hunting, see shortbarrel's post in this thread http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... ht=hunting

I'm sure there are others.

Sure the 4" Redhawk may be a little heavier and a little bigger than some other 44 mags, some complain about the single action trigger, but I don't believe there is another DA revolver available that gives you this much versatility - the ability to cover so many uses with one gun. I'm not sure I need all these features, but it's comforting to know they are there if needed. If I could only keep one of my handguns, this would be the one.

Geri

Bearcat
Glad to read the articals on the short barrel. I have killed prairie dogs at 50 60 yard with my 1911. The 4" redhawk should work fine at that distance.

Short Barrel

Blackhawk
I consider the 4" Redhawk to be a very serious hunting gun.Mine have taken mule deer,whitetail,black bear,antelope,elk and moose.Longest shots-95 yds..If my eyes were as good as a few years ago,I could take game farther if I needed to.

I have never owned a revolver (and I have gone through a bunch) that would shoot better than my two 4" Redhawks,regardless of barrel length.Mine were not factory 4" barrels but longer ones cut off.
MooseHunt2009151.jpg

KurtC

Single-Sixer
The 4" in .45 Colt is my favorite. I didn't like the square butt, so I let Hamilton Bowen work his magic on it.

Redhawk003.jpg

Snyd

Single-Sixer
KurtC. Beautimous little 45 there!

Tell me about that SRH 454 cylinder in that RH 45 Colt. I'd like to do that to mine. Where'd you ever find the cylinder? Who did the conversion? Is that bead blasted finish or something? The frame and cylinder match real nice. How much$$$

KurtC

Single-Sixer
Snyd,

The cylinder was pretty much drop-in, but I did have Mr. Bowen double check everything. To find a nice take off SRH cylinder, you'll have to search the usual websites, as well as the smiths that do conversions to 5-shot. I don't believe the factory will sell you one.

The matte/satin finsih was also done by Bowen.

Tankhead

Bearcat
Ron Honner":z05o4huw said:
The 4" shoots well for me, Geri, but the open backstrap on the new Hogue grips can sting a little if you don't use shooting gloves.

I have smaller hands and use Pachmayr's Gripper or Decellerator grips. Takes the sting out and gives me a better hold on the revolver. If you have huge hands, use the Pachmayr Presentation grip. It definitely takes the sting out.

I prefer shorter barreled revolvers, so the 4" is the one I like best. I also like the 5.5" Redhawk.

I personally wish Ruger would produce a 2" or 2.5" Redhawk. I asked Lipsey's general manager to commission a few. I think they would be good sellers.

My 4" RH 44 mag will hopefully be here Friday, if not then Saturday. Can you tell I'm anxious? And eventhough I haven't shot with it, new grips look like a pretty good possibility. When you say "huge", what hand size would you say that is? My palm size is 10". Would that be large enough for the presentation grips? Mostly using it for back-up when bowhunting. Would another type be better? Are there any other modifications than can make the gun perform better? Might be more of an individual thing though. Thanks!

pyth0n

Buckeye
Mine shot well for me out to 100 yds. The grips were a bit to fat and I wasn't comfortable with them. I first tried the old standard wood grips from one of my other rdhks, then I found a set of Butler creek grips that fit me perfectly.

Tankhead

Bearcat
I didn't have any problems with thier feel on the one's I've handled. Have to shoot one first. Can't wait!!! Hard to say if I'd prefer one grip over another w/o really trying em both. I think I'd have to try em both. But for $25, I don't mind trying. Are wood grips not a good option with this model/caliber? If so, are thier any suppliers?

deac45

Single-Sixer
Wood grips are as good an option as rubber...if they are made right. First, I like them to be a little fatter at the top under the web of my hand. This helps spread the recoil over a wider area. Second, if they leave the backstrap exposed, I want them to fit seamlessly with the backstrap...no frame showing when viewed from the side. This keeps the edge of the backstrap from digging into the palm and web of the hand. This also usually means custom made, fit to the gun.

deac45

Latest posts