Ruger Redhawk .357 Hammer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Dan,, I feel you've come to the right place for sure.

Around here,, we try to help & not berate folks. Especially when they are asking honest questions. We will offer as much real life experiences, as well as as much good info as we can.
PS; I own a pair of the original Redhawks in .357. :D

Reactions: ILC
When I get a new Redhawk (or any Ruger DA, really), I shoot it with about 1000 rounds and a lot a dry firing between range sessions. I don't clean or lube the gun during that period.

After that, I swap in a Wolff 13 LB Redhawk spring (according to Wolff, Ruger uses a 17 LB spring). And then clean thoroughly and lube it. Perfection every time, simply wonderful pull. Never had a failure to fire, and the action is slick.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
I took a GP-100 armorer class from Rob Dearden head armorer for Ruger at the time. His comments were something to the effect they take out all the aftermarket springs and put correct ones in when guns come in for repair. Fixes misfires, light primer strikes, accuracy by shortening lock time etc. Redhawks are the worst to change springs on because of the dual use of the one spring. Just don't do it.