Ruger Red Label and steel shot

Help Support Ruger Forum:

quicksilver

Bearcat
Ruger Red Label.
Does anyone know about shooting steel shot in Ruger red Labels.
I have a 20 gauge and would like to hunt with it.
Our local public hunting areas require steel shot.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!
QS

fracas714

Bearcat
I've shot it out of a 12 ga RL with skeet chokes. First time I've ever got a scotch double was with this gun two mallards with one shot. I was shooting Winchester blindside 3" 1 3/8 no. 2.

My Father had two early blued receiver/fixed choke Red Label 20 gauges. He shot the improved cylinder and modified choked one extensively with steel shot and no problems whatsoever.

rugnelli

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Download the owners manual from Ruger. As far as I know they have been steel shot compatible for a long time. Mine is and it was made in 2000.

fanuke

Bearcat
quicksilver,

I just contacted Ruger on this topic a few days ago and they confirmed that the fixed Full choke is too tight for steel shot. If you're like me and have the older fixed F/M 20, you essentially now have a single shot! I'm investigating getting my barrels opened up and threaded for screw-in tubes. Ruger does not support this, of course, but what's a guy to do?

fanuke

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
fanuke said:
I just contacted Ruger on this topic a few days ago and they confirmed that the fixed Full choke is too tight for steel shot. If you're like me and have the older fixed F/M 20, you essentially now have a single shot! I'm investigating getting my barrels opened up and threaded for screw-in tubes. Ruger does not support this, of course, but what's a guy to do?

Hi,

We had all the equipment in our shop to install choke tubes, and did plenty of them, but on any gun that "meant anything" to its owner (collectible, sentimental, one of a kind, etc.) we'd send it off to Briley. They're a bit more expensive than most, but are probably the best in the biz overall. Especially when dealing with doubles, either O/Us or SxSs. To be polite, Ruger's "support" of the RL has seemed sketchy from the beginning, so if you want a shooter, the coin toss is yours to make!

Rick C

Latest posts