RUGER RED HAWK VALUE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rosie65

Bearcat
New man here. Whats a Ruger Red hawk 71/2 inch SS 357 worth? Don't thinK theres a scratch on it any where. Has a Pro Point red dot on it and the complete rear sight is in a small envelope. I'm old as dirt but can hit a clay target every shot at 50 yards. With a rest of course! :)

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
Depends on if you're selling or if you're buying. :wink:

Welcome to the site. Someone who may have an actual answer for you will be along in a bit I'm sure. :D

Three50seven

Buckeye
Hello, and welcome to the Forum!

I won't be of much help with the Redhawk, but someone will come along soon that can give you an appraisal.

Where are you in Indiana, by the way? (If you don't mind sharing)

Rosie65

Bearcat
I live in northeastern Indiana. I have never been able to find a Red Hawk in 357 on GB. Found a lot of 44 mag's but not one 357. Some one told me it is the strongest 357 ever made and a reloaders dream. It is one heavy gun.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Ok, I'm in North Central IN. They're probably right about it being one of the strongest ever built. I don't even know If I've ever seen a 357 Redhawk, so I guess they're pretty rare. You can bet that someone on here has one and can get you an accurate value.

OldRugerMan

Blackhawk
Last one I saw for sale was $650. For that $$$ it should have the box, paper work and shipper. The one I saw didn't so I thought it overpriced.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Rosie65":2bylviqz said:
I live in northeastern Indiana. I have never been able to find a Red Hawk in 357 on GB. Found a lot of 44 mag's but not one 357. Some one told me it is the strongest 357 ever made and a reloaders dream. It is one heavy gun.

Plan on paying about $700.00 for a nice Redhawk 357. Just don't see a lot of them. The Red hawk is the second strongest 357 revolver. The strongest is a New Model Blackhawk 357. A single action revolver is almost always stronger than the same SA/DA revolver in the same caliber.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
My 7.5" was bought used years back for $550; no box/papaers.
It ain't for sale, it being one of my favorite USPSA Redhawks :shock:

I sold my 5.5" 357 last year for $650, again, no box or papers, and IT wasn't as nice as the 7.5".
Whoever owned it before me used it hard (not in shooting, just in condition).

FWIW, my 7.5" has seen some "interesting" handloads.

My 5.5" 44 Redhawk is my most-favorite USPSA Redhawk.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
One small point: The 357 Magnum Redhawk is without question significantly stronger than a Blackhawk (and virtually every other so-chambered revolver; just measure its cylinder).

More strong, the Freedom Arms choices.
About as strong, the large-frame Dan Wesson.
Short list, ay?
Not even close, the rest (yes, the N-frame, too, even though it IS very strong).

Beaver Creek

Single-Sixer
I have a 5.5" I paid $475 for about 2 years ago and a 7.5" for $705 so as you can see they are what somebody is willing to pay. I just bid on a 7.5" & 5.5" both in box and shipper from a live auction yesterday but don't have results yet. I bid $550 plus buyers fee which would total well over $600. I will feel very fortunate if I get either at that amount. Both were NIB w/shippers.

Three50seven

Buckeye
WESHOOT2":18feufrk said:
One small point: The 357 Magnum Redhawk is without question significantly stronger than a Blackhawk (and virtually every other so-chambered revolver; just measure its cylinder).

More strong, the Freedom Arms choices.
About as strong, the large-frame Dan Wesson.
Short list, ay?
Not even close, the rest (yes, the N-frame, too, even though it IS very strong).

I'd have to agree, as much as I love my blackhawk, the Redhawk is quite a handcannon.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I bought one 10 months ago. It's a 5.5" in excellent condition. Gave $460 for it with the manual but no box. I hardly ever take it out of the safe. It shoots good, but is too big and heavy to pack around, so it will probably be my only "collectible" gun. All the others get shot, carried, taken along on camping trips, etc. I could sell or trade the Redhawk for something I would use, but since they seem to be pretty rare, I'm just going to sit on it. When I bought it, it had been up for sale on a local classified website for weeks; people weren't exactly fighting over it.

trouble

Single-Sixer
[/quote]

Plan on paying about $700.00 for a nice Redhawk 357. Just don't see a lot of them. The Red hawk is the second strongest 357 revolver. The strongest is a New Model Blackhawk 357. A single action revolver is almost always stronger than the same SA/DA revolver in the same caliber.[/quote]

Umm according to whom? The cylinder walls on a RH would much thicker than the ones on a blackhawk. Furthermore following your rather flawed logic I guess my SRH in 454 isn't safe to fire anymore with 454 loads? Seeing how it is just a DA and all :roll: Some folks...

308longdistance

Blackhawk
As WESHOOT2 said.

The .357 Redhawk is/was a significantly over built .357. It was built on the same Redhawk platform as the .41, .44, and .45 Redhawks of it's day. It just had little bitty .357 holes drilled in the cylinder and barrel, which made it stronger and heavier than its bigger brothers.

They seem to run around $550-$600.

Corky

Bearcat
If the rear sight is in a bag and not on the gun I would check to see
if it had been drilled and taped for the red dot mount. If it has, you
may be able to haggle a better deal. I picked up a 5 1\2 inch 357
from a gentleman walking around the Indy 1500 about a year ago.
I paid less than what they are going for on the auction sites. I got lucky.
A dealer at the last Tipton show had a boxed 7 1\2 357. He was
very proud of it, priced at 900. He probably still has it.

Jeff