Ruger QC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

brushy bill

Bearcat
Looking at G Freeman's post on his new Ruger GP100 and potentially offset barrel, it appears a number of folks have had negative experiences with Ruger QC. Wondering if it is generally accepted that Ruger's QC is not what should be and current production is being thrown together or not?

revhigh

Hawkeye
Let's just say that Ruger's QC aint what it used to be and leave it at that ....

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
... Along with the fact that most major manufacturers have exactly the same problem.

Put it this way: I'd buy a new Ruger today before I'd buy a new S&W, or a new Sig, and those cost a lot more than a Ruger.

-- Sam

contender

Ruger Guru
I've gotten a few NM's this year, and they were all excellent for a production revolver. I think some folks look for minor flaws and then complain loudly about cosmetics. I always ask; "How does it shoot?"

Yosemite Sam":a8n002si said:
... Along with the fact that most major manufacturers have exactly the same problem.

Put it this way: I'd buy a new Ruger today before I'd buy a new S&W, or a new Sig, and those cost a lot more than a Ruger.

-- Sam

I Know S&W is not what it use to be "But Sig"??

batmann

Single-Sixer
I believe the QC is as good as ever, the inter-net makes it appear worse than it is. I have older Rugers that are not as nice as my newer ones and visa versa. Same with my Smiths.
For every satisfied customer who says nothing, there is 2 or 3 who complain about everything. THIS NOT to say that things come out that shouldn't, but I think by in large, they do a pretty good job.
The rusted flattop for example, but is that a Ruger problem or dealer or somewhere in between. The fact Ruger made it good is good enough for me.

paleocaver

Bearcat
hittman":18qei8y3 said:
Less than 10% of folks who have no problems never say a word.

Let me be one, then. I bought a Anniversary BH in 2007, a Bearcat and a Single Six this summer. No QC issues have been found with any of them. I'm perfectly happy with them all.

Rob72

Bearcat
powder smoke":1vou3vzy said:
I Know S&W is not what it use to be "But Sig"??
Yeah, Sig is "having issues" as well. You'll see a few more posts about it on SigForums than you see Ruger QC posts here, from what I've seen. Sig price= high expectation ( I got mine for a steal :lol: ).

andyo5

Single-Sixer
NOBODY'S QC is what it should be nowadays. They are pushing product out the door so fast it that some surprising defects are surfacing.
I had problems with both my Blackhawk (grip frame and main frame did not fit together well due to mis-drilled screw holes) and Redhawk (major gouge on the frame). In both cases, Ruger accepted them back for warranty service and made them right at no cost whatsoever to me. I am really happy with the guns that they sent back to me.

hutchman

Blackhawk
contender":1y93vxcz said:
I've gotten a few NM's this year, and they were all excellent for a production revolver. I think some folks look for minor flaws and then complain loudly about cosmetics. I always ask; "How does it shoot?"

Interesting comment.......I too have purchased several handguns new from Ruger this year.

4 5/8 Blackhawk 45 Colt...bluing worn off on the muzzle.......I bought it anyway and it's a shooter

5 1/2 Stainless Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt....nick on one cylinder.....I bought it and it too is a shooter.

5 1/2 Stainless Single Six 17 HMR........it was beautifully finished and was a heck of shooter

MKIII Stainless Competition ......miserable workmanship on the finish.......I bought it anyway and it is a shooter.

The problems with the two Blackhawks could have happened after these guns left the factory and they are shooters, so no worries. The finish issue on the MKIII is clearly a factory issue and causes one to wonder about QC.

I also have tried to buy 2 Single Sixes......both of which were NR-9Ls and both came from the same distributor back to back. Each had major rust issues on both the inside and outside of the frame. My pusher stated that he did not think that the rust issue was at the distributor, as these had been there less than 1 week, but rather with something at Ruger.

As has been posted several times in the last months, this rust problem has been encountered on several Blackhawks and Single Sixes purchased by members here. WE are not the only ones buying these either.

So do these issues mean we need to start a huge Ruger bashing campaign.........? I think not, but taken together, then do indicate that their might be some issues with production quality at the factory. If I was in charge, I would want to find out what was causing these problems.....

I should add that I have also purchased a new Charger with no apparent issues.....it hasn't been shot yet and an LCP which looks and functions just as it should. I really like both of these. I also should state that I will continue to buy Rugers. Good quality at a decent price. I will be cautious to inspect any news carefully before taking delivery however....

eyedawg2020

Bearcat
I feel that Ruger, when they may have a problem have been forthcoming with it and addressed the problems. All manufacturers will have issues, those that are proactive while have my trust.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
maxpress":2aq96f3k said:
i have never got a bad ruger nib. i must be the lukiest member on this forum.
Max ... I'm with you! While I'm certain that there are guys here that have bought many more Rugers then I have in the past couple of years, the three that I have bought NIB have been in excellent condition and excellent shooters (then again, I'm not a revolver guy & just noticed that this issue was posted in the revolver section :oops:).

Stoots

Buckeye
Bought this one last week, made earlier this month. Perfect, no issues at all.

DSCN0087.jpg

recoilguy

Bearcat
Rugers QC problems are very public and are rabidly eaten up and spewed back out by others who are not fans of Ruger. Go to the Bersatalk forum there is a bastian of Ruger hatred like you may have never seen before.

Ruger is like any corporation they will have their problems. The measure of a great company is not necessarily the fact they have zero problems but the way they handle the ones they do have. In that respect I believe I give Ruger very good marks. Why the problems? I am not sure....Are they working to correct them, Yes they are. Is every problem Ruger having discussed and then discussed and then rehashed and then scrutinized over and over again. Yes it is. That makes it appear the same problem happens all the time wwhen in fact the same problem is just being discussed alll the time. I would like to buy guns from a company with out problems, A gun is not something to be taken lightly. I also need to be able to buy guns.

RCG

hutchman

Blackhawk
Stoots":25750tys said:
Bought this one last week, made earlier this month. Perfect, no issues at all.

DSCN0087.jpg

Beautiful gun and beautiful image..........! Nice! I wish I had the money to buy one just like it.

Now back on subject!

batmann

Single-Sixer
Please, I am not starting a 'flame' here, but perhaps if we stop buying "shooters", then the QC problems will clear up. As long as we, as consumers, buy what we know has problems, cosmetic or mechanical, where is the incentive for any company to improve?

Stoots

Buckeye
recoilguy":icbrjeiz said:
Rugers QC problems are very public and are rabidly eaten up and spewed back out by others who are not fans of Ruger. Go to the Bersatalk forum there is a bastian of Ruger hatred like you may have never seen before.

Ruger is like any corporation they will have their problems. The measure of a great company is not necessarily the fact they have zero problems but the way they handle the ones they do have. In that respect I believe I give Ruger very good marks. Why the problems? I am not sure....Are they working to correct them, Yes they are. Is every problem Ruger having discussed and then discussed and then rehashed and then scrutinized over and over again. Yes it is. That makes it appear the same problem happens all the time wwhen in fact the same problem is just being discussed alll the time. I would like to buy guns from a company with out problems, A gun is not something to be taken lightly. I also need to be able to buy guns.

RCG

Excellent post.

And I love that avatar!

:wink:

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
The following were purchased this year about 2 months apart. All had been ordered and paid for in advance so there wasn't an opportunity to inspect them before purchasing.

An Anniversary Model .357 mag Blackhawk (new old stock) with a severely canted front sight.

A newly manufactured (this year) New Model Bearcat with a severely canted front sight.

A newly manufactured ( this year) Super Single Six with air bubbles in the top strap that the polisher tried to buff out and left not only the bubbles but a dished out place on the top strap as well, rusty sludge in the internals & rust on the right side of the hammer.

Purchasers have a reasonable expectation of receiving a first quality product from Ruger. After getting three in a row with issues I no longer have the confidence that Ruger is making any effort at quality control. In the case of the single six, the person doing the polishing should have reported the issue to QC (if in fact a QC department even exists).

Latest posts