Ruger Predator Bolt Shroud

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BadMatrix

Bearcat
I was cleaning the bolt and for some reason I twisted the shroud and it clicked once. How do I get it back to the original position?

Attachments

• BC05EAF8-64CE-4CC3-8B87-4FDCF3804CD6.jpeg
    BC05EAF8-64CE-4CC3-8B87-4FDCF3804CD6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 54
  • 04EF7614-D267-4E88-806F-9AB657BB2D2E.jpeg
    04EF7614-D267-4E88-806F-9AB657BB2D2E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 57

BadMatrix

Bearcat
If it's anything like any centerfire bolt based on the Mauser system, pull back on the sear/cooking piece and twist.
Thanks i am new to destroying new rifles…..so to return to first click position I just pull rearward and twist in opposite direction?

NikA

Buckeye
I just pull rearward and twist in opposite direction?
The piece in the middle of the shroud with a notch towards the bolt body is what I would call the cocking piece; the notch is the sear notch which holds the striker cocked until the trigger is pulled. IME, you need to pull that piece back against the striker spring pressure, then rotate the shroud.

I don't have this model, but when I do this with other similar rifles, I use something like a chopstick, hook it under the sear notch, and use that to pull the cocking piece back while rotating. I've also done it by pushing the bolt down against the edge of a bench while catching the sear notch on the bench. I wouldn't use anything steel for fear of damaging the surface interacting with the sear.

A careful look at the cocking ramp should tell you which way to turn. You probably can't just hook the striker with a finger and recock it. Once you've located the sear and determined which way it should rotate, use the edge of a 2x4 or such so you don't burr the striker surface.