Ruger Precision Rifle in .308.....who can educate me?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

vacextar

Blackhawk
Been wanting one of these for quite a while but never pulled the trigger (no pun intended) on buying one. So....I'm doing some shopping around and see a "gen 3" description on one.....which I'm assuming means there is a gen 1 and gen 2. Can anyone tell me differences and options available or anything else to look out for while shopping for one? Looks like 18" and 20" barrels are the only 2 options? Anyone seen any inherent accuracy advantages between them?....I've got a ton of 155gr ammo to use if that makes a difference. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

recumbent

Buckeye
Gen 1 has the scope rail going all the way forward. And the folding stock would not lock closed.
Gen 2 has the scope rail just on the receiver making it easier to mount large objective scopes and the stock will lock closed.
Gen Some minor changes that I can't remember.

If it was me I would get the 20 inch bbl.

Keep in mind that a 20" barrel will limit the "long range" performance of the .308 cartridge. I have a .308 bolt action w/20" barrel and find it obnoxiously loud while delivering unimpressive velocities.

Mobuck said:
Keep in mind that a 20" barrel will limit the "long range" performance of the .308 cartridge. I have a .308 bolt action w/20" barrel and find it obnoxiously loud while delivering unimpressive velocities.
What length barrel do those who shoot 1,000 yrd matches use? I have an Rem 788 in .308 with a 20 inch barrel, and a DPMS .308 with a 16 inch barrel. Both used at 100yds or less. The 20 inch barrel has more noticed recoil than the semi automatic 16 inch barrel. Hmmm?
gramps