Ruger PCC re-assembly issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Douglas S

Bearcat
I seem to have made a very fundamental mistake when re-assembling my PCC after field stripping and cleaning. The lower receiver is back together and everything is snug and seems to operate fine, but I cannot get the barrel assembly to re-attach to the receiver. Worse, the chamber and barrel seem misaligned somehow. I cannot get the barrel to rotate into place so that the locking pin will seat in the slot on the receiver.

Thanks for any advice. Yes, I'm a noob.
ruger reassembly issue.jpg

Last edited:
In the owners manual, it explains how to adjust the adjustable headspacing ring. Sounds like yours is a little tight. Loosen the adjustment, and start over, adjusting tighter by trial and error, until the barrel will just barely and finally, attach itself.

Douglas S

Bearcat
The adustment ring seems frozen. The barrel will seat completely, I just can't get it to rotate to proper alignment. It also seems to be engaging the bolt somehow.

Douglas S

Bearcat
Yes to all that. It feels like the issue is in the barrel block. The barrel won't turn to where it needs in the block so everything just "clicks" together. I've stripped the gun several times and this is the first time this has happened.

hittman

Staff member
Was your "field stripping" more than just separating the two pieces?

Well then, if you "know" everything is adjusted correctly and it still wont reassemble, your choices are contact the dealer, contact a gunsmith or contact Ruger.

Diagnosing over the internet is difficult. My bet is something still is not adjusted correctly or otherwise the manual is not being followed.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
Usually when these things happen to me it ends up being something simple …. Something I missed.

Set it on the workbench and look at it again about Tuesday. May snap right together.

Douglas S

Bearcat
Thank you very much for all the replies. I took it to a gunsmith and it really was stupidly simple. This gun is brand new and everything is extremely tight. We had to use a punch on the adjustment ring to loosen it and move the barrel spacer so the barrel assembly would seat in the block. As the teeth on the collar in the barrel assembly wear down a bit, the adjustment ring will turn easier.

Last edited:

Douglas S

Bearcat
Was your "field stripping" more than just separating the two pieces?
Yes. I removed the trigger and bolt assemblies. The good news is the design is pretty idiot-proof and you really can't put things back incorrectly.
Usually when these things happen to me it ends up being something simple …. Something I missed.

Set it on the workbench and look at it again about Tuesday. May snap right together.
This is kind of what happened. After taking the barrel assembly apart the diagnosis was "this gun needs broken in."

Douglas S

Bearcat
It really was a simple problem, per my reply above. You were correct--this was really the only thing that could be wrong. There is no way for that barrel block to be misaligned etc. Apparently there's a very narrow tolerance with that barrel spacer that has to be adjusted with that adjustment ring that just needs some more wear to get moving easily. Thank you again for the reply.

I know you've got it fixed, and I am pleased. In the meantime, and just to cement things in my own mind, I just brought out my PCC for a photo-op. I removed the barrel to check the correct directions for loosening and tightening the adjustment ring. Just as I remembered, making sure the bolt is locked back, and with the barrel tenon completely separate from the receiver, loosening the nut as far as it will go causes the barrel tenon to be inserted into the receiver easily and allowing the tenon to be twisted home. In this position, tighten the ring as far as it will go. Then remove the barrel, tighten the ring another click or two, and reinstall the barrel to the receiver. Keep doing this until the barrel will no longer install. Back the ring off one click, and you should be adjusted correctly.