Ruger PC4

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lead shooter

Bearcat
I was wondering if the Ruger PC4 had a supported chamber. I was going to do some reloading for one and two reloading manuals said to check. It said make sure the firearm provided complete support of the case head. Anyone reload for the PC4 and is there any areas to watch or problems. I was going to try some laser cast 155 grn. round nose bullets in it . Any info. would be very help full thanks, lead shooter

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't have any particular experience with the PC-4 or loading the .40S&W but I do know that some auto-loading pistols have a problem with supporting the case head completely. Brass from one of these guns will have a bulge in the sidewall near the case-head commonly called a "smiley". This bulged brass should not be reloaded.

You could check your own gun by looking at the barrel chamber and checking the ejected brass. I am pretty sure you will not find a problem. Here is an article that explains some of that. :D

http://www.christiangunowner.com/glockreviews.html

...Jimbo

wixedmords

Blackhawk
I have been waiting to break my PC4 down for a cleaning to add to this post lead shooter.

A round in the chamber is supported all the way around. My viewing of how much case wall is showing is nowhere near the amount of the 2 barrels in Jimbo's example. In fact, I can't see any case wall in normal viewing. I'd call it as completely supported as can be.

Rest assured, imo.

lead shooter

Bearcat
Thanks Wixedmords for the Information. That is good news. I appreciate you taking the time to break down your PC4 to reply to my post. I reloaded 50 rounds , haven't had the time to shoot and chronygragh the loads yet. We still got alot of melting snow and mud here in Penna. I can't wait to get out and try it. Leadshooter

wixedmords

Blackhawk
lead shooter":3nvazmww said:
I appreciate you taking the time to break down your PC4 to reply to my post.

Not a problem. You are welcome. It had to give it a cleaning anyway as I had shot a few rounds for load testing. When you brought it up I wanted to answer the question myself.

lead shooter":3nvazmww said:
I reloaded 50 rounds , haven't had the time to shoot and chronygragh the loads yet. We still got alot of melting snow and mud here in Penna. I can't wait to get out and try it. Leadshooter

I think you guys got quite a bit more snow than up here this year. That jet stream is pushing a lot of those storms that come up the coast out through Cape Cod. Mud season stinks, no getting around that, unless you have toys for the mud I guess.

Pennsylvania is a wonderful state. I like to visit there when I can. Are the cicada's due back soon? We don't have them up here, and to hear them is quite a thing to witness.

I am taking it you have the PC4 in hand now. By your initial post I kinda thought you either hadn't purchased it yet, or it was still being delivered.

Good luck with the PC4 lead shooter.

lead shooter

Bearcat
Hi Wixedmords, Well I got the PC4 out today. I shot my reloads in it 155 gr. laser cast rn backed with 5.7 gr. of unique. I got that load from a lyman load book. I shot it at about 25 yards used the open sights. This one doesn't have the ghost ring rear sight. I had to move the windage to the left and raise the elevation up. I found out that the whole base of the rear sight had some side to side movement. I also found that little screw on the left side of the rear sight when tighten fixed that problem . I guess it got lose some how. I picked to use hard cast bullets because they were alot cheaper to shoot . I used laser cast before and liked them they don't give me much of a leading problem. This carbine has the blow back action and isn't a gas type action I don't have to worry about clogging any gas ports with lead. This carbine has a really sold feeling seems like it is built like a tank. It has the old William B. Ruger engineering feeling. I wish he was still around. You were asking about the snow Well we got about 23 ins. where I live that was the second snow we got . I live about 1/2 hour down from Allentown Pa. and about 40 miles up from Phila. Phila. got even more than us. Well its been getting in the 50's and most of the snow is gone. The cicada's I think they were last year I think they say they come every 7 years but I think they come around sooner. Back to the PC4 I got it from a friend for $175 It is like new he shot it about 300 times . He needed money and a gun store he took it to wouldn't even give $200. So he asked me if I wanted it I couldn't say no. So that is how I got it. I found out it was made in 2004. Some people say the trigger is kind of hard but I don't mind it. I found that the rear sight blade opening is kind of wide but I did hit the bulls eye when I got the sights right. Oh, one more thing. Do I have to take the action out of the stock and pull the bolt and other parts apart for routine cleaning like in the manual. It seems like I can get to most of the parts that get dirty with the action open. I kind of hate to take it all apart like that unless it got all wet or dropped in mud. Well sorry this is long I'm just happy with my new to me carbine . Lead Shooter

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Hey lead shooter,

I'd completely disassemble the carbine. It really isn't that hard to do and is so much easier to clean when apart. You will actually find parts of the action that could only be reached when apart.

That is quite the deal on that PC4. You made out like a bandit. That would make the cicada's sing. :)

Glad it is working out for you lead shooter. It's a fun carbine in my book. Very enjoyable.

lead shooter

Bearcat
Winedmords. I will have to try taking it apart sometime soon. The part I wasn't to crazy to do was it saids to bend open the front band some. I guess you don't have to bend it much I hope. I just hate to get the screw drivers close to it yet. It's so new looking. Thanks, Lead shooter

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Just twisting it a little bit with a large regular blade screwdriver will do it lead shooter. If you twist the screwdriver right where the bolt goes through it, you will loosen up the band enough so your other hand can slide the band to the front.

Don't sweat it. It will be ok. If you need to touch anything up Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black can be your friend.