Ruger pc4 carbine never had this happen stuck bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I just tried to load some new bullets I bought 155 grain Montana gold hollow points .i first tried 800x powder with them first one stuck .I got it out then tried p38 power second one stuck .I usually use small rifle primers for this carbine it makes it more accurate but I tried small pistol primers this time .I have never had this happen very weird .I am really wondering if it's the bullets coating stopping the bullets in the barrel .I have never had a problem with this carbine using other bullets .They only went about 3 inches in the barrel and were very hard to get out .I miked them and they were .40 might be that coating . The bad thing I bought 6 bags of them guess I am stuck with them .

mikld

Blackhawk
40 S&W? Coated bullets can be considered "soft jacketed lead". I have used quite a few Hi-Tek and PCed bullets and I treated then just like cast lead bullets with no problems, including load data. Like lead, if sized correctly and not damaged during seating they should be very little if any fouling (PC or leading)...

dgr416

Single-Sixer
These are jacketed bullets with a special coating .Remington makes a bullet that looks just like this one . They sure stopped in my barrel very shortly I am glad I always make sure it's not a dud load .I am calling the guy I bought them from to get the number to the factory where they came from so no one blows up their guns .I have seen old guns with barrel bulges from this same thing when they fired another round after the first one .It was almost impossible to get them out of the barrel

mikld

Blackhawk
My mistake. I looked at the Montana Gold site and saw no reference to what they are made of, but if they are considered a jacketed bullet (which from they pics they look jacketed), bullets sticking in the barrel, squibs, is from not enough pressure to push the bullet out of the barrel, a low or no powder charge. If the gun is in shootable condition and proper powder charges, any commercial bullet should work. Regardless of the alloy of the jacket, a normal powder charge for the bullet weight should work (I've seen and/or read of steel jackets, aluminum jackets and pure copper jackets used successfully).

dougader

Hunter
You didn't say what your powder charge was. Carbine loads need to be on the warmer side... certainly nothing less than carbine starting loads, especially with jacketed bullets and even moreso with short cases like 9mm and 40 S&W. There are warnings about this and the danger of stuck bullets in a few of the loading manuals.

Latest posts