RUGER PC CARNINE 9MM TAKE DOWN

Help Support Ruger Forum:

walnut777

Bearcat
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
42
Location
Anderson, SC
My new Ruger PC Carbine just came in today. I swapped out the sr9 magwell for the RAP magwell. I own both the sr9 and rap but the rap is my primary carry weapon.

What optics have you guys found that will co witness? I like bushnell trs-25. I had it on another firearm but sold them together. Anyone have a trs-25 on theirs? Do you like it? I like the quality and it stayed true on my 556. Plus its only about 50 bucks on amazon.
 

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
2,123
Location
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Nothing I know of will co-witness with the factory iron sights as they are too far below the receiver's Picatinny rail. You would need a rear sight that mounts to the receiver's Pic rail behind the red dot and a much taller front sight.

The TRS-25 works well on the PC Carbine. I used it in the past but now have a Vortex Venom. Any good quality tube or reflex red dot is suitable.

BTW, Taccom sells a short Picatinny rail that replaces the factory rear sight and mounts using the factory screws. I have one on my PCC and the Venom is now mounted on it. It makes a very good, fast to use combination.
 

walnut777

Bearcat
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
42
Location
Anderson, SC
22/45 Fan said:
Nothing I know of will co-witness with the factory iron sights as they are too far below the receiver's Picatinny rail. You would need a rear sight that mounts to the receiver's Pic rail behind the red dot and a much taller front sight.

The TRS-25 works well on the PC Carbine. I used it in the past but now have a Vortex Venom. Any good quality tube or reflex red dot is suitable.

BTW, Taccom sells a short Picatinny rail that replaces the factory rear sight and mounts using the factory screws. I have one on my PCC and the Venom is now mounted on it. It makes a very good, fast to use combination.

Thanks! I work at a pawn shop and just looked through something similiar to a trs 25. i think i many go the route you did vortex venom. something more compact. I have something here similar to that and target acquisition seems a little quicker for me with the reflex.
 

357Nut

Bearcat
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
55
I hope your Ruger PCC works better than my friends. When he got it I was excited to try it out. It was experiencing "Failures to eject" about 1 in every 30 rounds or so.

He sent it back and Ruger stated on the repair form that they changed out the bolt face, extractor and a couple of other things. Ruger also claimed the action was extremely dirty and suggested this might have been a factor in the "Failures to eject". Which doesn't seem right as we only shot about 150 rounds through it.

Upon return we were experiencing a "Failure to eject" almost every 10 rounds. I've built a bunch of 9mm ARs that work flawlessly so I talked him into letting me tweak the ejector until in is just shy of rubbing on the bolt. Now it is fairly reliable but still not perfect.

Really bummed because I want one of these bad!!!

Not trying to be a downer and I've read of many having PCC owners having "Zero" issues. I hope you are one of the "Zero" issues guy and enjoy your PCC.
 

robmkivseries70

Bearcat
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
44
Hi 357,
Might still be a break in issue. If it were brand new I'd recommend cleaning out all the packing grease before shooting it. I'll go with a break in issue at the moment.
Best,
Rob
 

m657

Buckeye
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
1,414
Location
sunny Orygun territory
My surprise was for speed steel the stock iron sights prove to be perfect. Had initial feed issue with glock mags but a little local smith trim cured. Now at about 700 rounds running 'nearly 100%' reliable.
 

rangerbob

Buckeye
Joined
Jan 9, 2011
Messages
1,240
I finally got around to shooting mine on Saturday. I have firearms instructor qualifications coming up on Tuesday and needed to get ready. I ran about 100 rounds thru it, including sighting in my Fastfire III sight. I had a couple of feeding/ejection problems with WW steel case ammo which I'd attribute to breaking in. I used brass cased ammo to sight in the FF III with no issues. I did not want to disassemble it for cleaning as the FF III is receiver mounted. I'll clean it after qualification and see if there are any issues with zero on the optic. Overall, I'm impressed. Bob! :mrgreen:
 

jmoser

Bearcat
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
33
m657 said:
My surprise was for speed steel the stock iron sights prove to be perfect. Had initial feed issue with glock mags but a little local smith trim cured. Now at about 700 rounds running 'nearly 100%' reliable.

Did you need to trim the mag well insert itself? Flashing around the edges, at die parting lines etc?

Picking mine up this week; I'll take a look at the magwell out of the gun.
 

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
2,123
Location
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
rangerbob said:
I did not want to disassemble it for cleaning as the FF III is receiver mounted.
I understand your concern but the PC Carbine (and 10/22 Takedown for that matter) have excellent return to zero performance following take down and reassembly. Just be sure the big take-up adjustment collar is as tight as you can have it while still allowing fairly easy barrel reinstallation.

Also, following reassembly, cycle the action several time allowing the bolt to slam home under spring pressure a few times to assure the parts are well seated. The Ruger owner's manual mentions this.
 

m657

Buckeye
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
1,414
Location
sunny Orygun territory
re: "Did you need to trim the mag well insert itself?"

sorry for delay in responding, was out of town for a while;

my smith said the mag well itself just was 'tightened up a bit' while the feed ramp? was the culprit.....whatever he did fixed it and have ~zero~ current issues of any kind.

All Hail the PCC 9!!!
 

Latest posts

Top