Ruger PC Carbine Good News and Bad News and Good News

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Centuriator

Bearcat
The good news is that it is a great little carbine. Love it. Well made and fun to shoot. I picked mine up last week and got it out to the range yesterday for the first time. The little extras are really nice: milled rail, suppressor ready threaded barrel, ability to use Glock magazines was the feature that sold me on it, since I have a lot of Glock mags.

I had it on preorder from Sportsmen Outdoors Superstore for $515, shipped.

The "bad news" is that I dutifully followed the instructions in the manual that the take down screws should be torqued to 65 inch pounds. I thought, geesh, that's a lot of torque, but oh well...and so I got out my torque wrench, set it to 65 and ... snapped the head off the front take down screw. So...I'm thinking the manual may well be incorrect. I tried to shoot it anyway and it was a mess, the glock mag well did not function well and I had repeated failures to extract and eject and double feeds. I was able to get a few shots off and enough to know that if/when I get this taken care of, it is going to be fun to shoot.

I put a Vortex Venom optic on mine and it is the perfect budget red dot, and it ran great suppressed too.

Good news: I contacted Ruger asking a few questions about a solution and they sent me return shipping label for me to return the whole rifle to them, on their dime. OK, I'm impressed. They are going to fix it, test it and return it, free shipping. Awesome.

Centuriator

Bearcat
57springer said:
Did you call and what is the spec on the torque according to Ruger ?

Well, the manual, from Ruger, included with the rifle, said to tighten them to 65 inch pounds, so that's what it is "according to Ruger." :)

Here's a screen shot from the manual:

PM5Mmj2.png

gc70

Bearcat
Centuriator said:
The "bad news" is that I dutifully followed the instructions in the manual that the take down screws should be torqued to 65 inch pounds. I thought, geesh, that's a lot of torque, but oh well...and so I got out my torque wrench, set it to 65 and ... snapped the head off the front take down screw.

Most torque wrenches I have seen are calibrated in foot-pounds and/or Newton-meters.

65 inch-pounds = 5.42 foot-pounds or 7.34 Newton-meters

That is a small amount of force - lower than the minimum setting on many torque wrenches.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
gc70 said:
Centuriator said:
Most torque wrenches I have seen are calibrated in foot-pounds and/or Newton-meters.

65 inch-pounds = 5.42 foot-pounds or 7.34 Newton-meters

That is a small amount of force - lower than the minimum setting on many torque wrenches.
Yeah, I tightened the screws on my PC Carbine to 65 inch-pounds using my 1/4" square drive torque wrench with no problems at all. If you tightened them to 65 foot-pounds, or 12 times the recommended torque, that would easily explain your problem.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Jeepnik said:
You need a torque wrench for the takedown screws? I sure hope this isn't something that needs to be done with any regularity.

Then again I know a fellow it would be perfect for. He torques his vehicle lug nuts

Just Ruger in CYA mode. Vehicle manuals have torque values listed in the manuals too. Have a problem "did you follow the manual?" can be the response.

grobin

Blackhawk
Always be aware of common usage when working on any device. Scope mounts and almost all other gun screws are torqued to around 20 inch pounds Not foot pounds. I can only think of a couple automotive cases where other than foot pounds are used (all in electronics). This is just like household electric is in 100s of volts while LAN and computer is in volts or milivolts.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Jeepnik said:
Then again I know a fellow it would be perfect for. He torques his vehicle lug nuts
If you have alloy wheels, using a torque wrench on the lug nuts, and following a proper cross-pattern and tightening them in stages, is good insurance against warping and/or cracking the rim. Properly run tire shops have their air-impact wrenches set to the correct maximum torque these days, after having to replace damaged wheels from serious over-torquing in the past.

Finally, many rifles respond to variations in action screw torque and many shooters experiment to find what their rifle particularly like. They have to have a torque wrench to repeat the best settings.

Latest posts