Ruger P97D/C Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

Hey guys I have a Ruger P97D/C and I recently completely disassembled the frame, cleaned it and reassembled it. Problem is that it is a double action and now every time I dry fire it it acts like a single action and the trigger does not reset. So I have broken it all down about 20 times now to see if I forgot any parts or put anything in backwards and everything looks normal, even after consulting a diagram of the frames parts. Can anyone shed some light on my problem? If posting pics will help you diagnose just say so and I will upload some.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Firsttimegrampa":kc9d9d4b said:
To reset the trigger the slide must go back which it doesn't with dry firing :wink:

Huh? When I dry fire my p97 ever trigger pull is double action unless I cock the hammer or rack the slide. My trigger resets to double action if the hammer is forward. I think the OP's problem is with the hammer forward the trigger isn't coming forward too.

P97D/C if you are still having problems I look at my gun this weekend and maybe I can help you out. Mark

gorwell1984

Bearcat
I recently purchased a used but looks as new.
Supposidly this pistol had only been fired less than 100 times.

I've been to the range on 3 different occasions and shooting 230 grain Blazer 230grain acp 45 auto fmj target round I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it at 25 yards!
There seems to be no consistance with this pistol what so ever! I consider myself a half way decent marksmen with several ovther revolvers I own but this is my first semi automatic.
I'll site the pistol in the same every single time and have even used a laser bore site which shows the gun to be very consitant in siting it in.
Yet the bullets end up all over the range at 25 yards. It'll shoot 2 feet to the right on one shot and the very next shot will be 3 feet to the left, 2 feet low, 2 feet high! I've been suing the same ammunition (230 grn FMJ 45 auto) every round. But I can't explain the bullets beeing everywhere.
I could deal with the rounds being alway to the right, or left, or low, or high, but consistantly!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whey I'm getting so much inconsistancy?

Any feedback will be extremely appreciated.

Thanks,
Gorwell1984

gorwell1984

Bearcat
I've used 3 different brands of ammo ( Ranger, Remington and Lawman). All were 230 grain rounded nose target ammo.
Are these P97DC pistols noted for warped barrels?, or any other problems regarding such an inconsistant placement at 20 to 25 yards?
It's almost as though the barrel is warped but the barrel looks shinny, straight, rifling is good, the gun functions well regarding the mechanics.
I oiled it up and I know I put too much oil in the chamber, down the barrel, etc and noticed after shooting 8 rounds the other day oil was litterely slightly flowing down the barrel. Would too much light grad A-1 gun oil make that much of a difference? Is there anything beside the barrel that could be causing this problem?
I'm at wits end with this P97DC.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
gorwell

railroader

Single-Sixer
gorwell1984, are you shooting from a rest or are you shooting offhand? The reason I ask is ruger triggers can take some getting use to. Shooting off a rest will give you a better idea of how well your gun shoots. My P97 is very accurate, more so than my P95. Try a little closer and use a rest. You might be surprised. Also you don't need all that oil. Shoot with the chamber and the inside of the barrel dry. A little oil on the rails and maybe a really light coat on the outside of the barrel. Mark

gorwell1984

Bearcat
Thanks railroader and hittman for your advice. I'll take the gun apart and clean it up, wipe all the free oil from the inside of barrel and bullet chamber.
I also want to try some lighter rounds than the 230 grain?

Thanks again,
George Orwell 1984