Ruger P95 info. needed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bf2rules

Bearcat
I just picked up a Ruger P95, PR15…NIB

With the hammer is cocked and when I move the safety from the fire to the safe position, the hammer (falls) fires,…. Is this right???
This is not the decocker model

thanks

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
It's working like it should. You can't carry a p95 cocked and locked. Applying the saftey lever when hammer is cocked drops the hammer. It doesn't acually fire when the hammer falls when you push the decocking lever. The firing pin is drawn into the slide so hammer can't hit it. Plus the firing pin block is blocking the firing pin from moving because only pulling trigger can move firing pin block plunger out of the firing pins way. Hope that helps.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Just to add a little:

In that position the gun is safe (decocked and locked). When you move the lever back up with your thumb it will now fire in double action mode (longer trigger pull).

You can however cock the hammer back for a single action pull. You will get use to this quite easily, i'm sure.

Have fun,

lee

It's kind of freaky at first to realize the hammer is falling like it is going to fire... but it is the best way to decock the gun with a round in the chamber... much better than the old way. Just remember you still need to keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction regardless.. also, if you really aren't sure... feel free to walk the hammer down as you flip the decock lever... but be sure to keep your finger off the trigger.

keeping my finger off the trigger was/is the hardest part of safe gun handling for me.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
You have a decocker/safety combo rather than a decock only. Ruger used to make both but now only makes the safety/decocker combo. The decock only is what I prefer and all seven of my Ruger semi autos have the decock only. No need for a safety on a pistol with a long, hard trigger pull that is no different than a revolver.

tiger955

Bearcat
If you are uncomfortable with the hammer falling (decocking) with a live round in the chamber, try putting the safety on before racking the slide. The hammer will follow the back of the slide to the down position as it closes.
Have fun with it, I love mine.

pistolpete

Single-Sixer
tiger955":10emgcav said:
If you are uncomfortable with the hammer falling (decocking) with a live round in the chamber, try putting the safety on before racking the slide. The hammer will follow the back of the slide to the down position as it closes.
Have fun with it, I love mine.

Exactly. That's what I do too. Although I trust the decocking mechanism I'm not really crazy about decocking on a live round while in my house. AT the range I just point gun in safe direction and decock. Granted for gun to malfunction and fire on a decock the firing pin would have to some how not be drawn into slide and the firing pin block would somehow have to be stuck in up position. Very unlikely.