RUGER P345 shooting low

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BLINDMAN49

Bearcat
maybe it is me but when ever i shoot it the rounds are low. at 25 yards and 10 yards. i admit i have flaws, but could anyone help me with this problem

try to change your 'hold' , and do NOT "lean into your shots"....try from a 'rest' ( support it) you just may be using a bad sight picture and anticipating your shot.....let some one else also shoot it......

railroader

Single-Sixer
Shoot it from a rest and see what happens. My buddyhas a 345 that shoots dead on at 25yards which makes it shoot just a hair low at 10 yards. Mark

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
If it is shooting dead low it may be the gun. If it's low and off to the right or left, it most probably is you. You can shoot from a rest as suggested or have some others fire it.

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
Mine shot significantly high at 25 yards. A quick call to ruger and a few days later I had a new rear sight in my mailbox. Shoots just right for me now.

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
If it shoots low at 10 yards, It will be lower at 25 yards.not dead on.

Not necessarily...I realize what you're saying, that gravity and ballistics make a bullet drop over distance...but there's also parallax due to the sights being above the bore axis.

On my Mark III Target, I have the iron sights set up perfectly for 25 feet, and it shoots about an inch high at 50 feet. I now have a red dot scope on it, that actually exacerbates the problem (more distance from bore axis = more parallax) but I've determined how much adjustment I need to make for various distances.

Dan

BLINDMAN49

Bearcat
i talked to ruger and they told me i was supposed to have the 3 dot sights, i had the plain sights. they sent me the 3 dot sights and it still shoots way low at 25 yards

railroader

Single-Sixer
They have different height rear sights. If you shoot it from a rest and it shoots low still you probably need a taller rear sight. I have an extra rear sight which I think is the tallest rear they have. Let me know and I'll throw it in the mail. Mark

stevefishes

Bearcat
I had a similar experience with my p345. The first box of ammo was 185gr fmj, the second was 240 gr fmj, the 185s shot low at 10 yards and way low at 25 yds. The 240 gr were right on at both distances. A friend fired some of each ammo and had the same results.

resident

Single-Sixer
Lighter weight bullets will shoot LOWER than heavier bullets. Why? Because they travel faster and depart the barrel sooner.... earlier in the recoil cycle, while the barrel is pointed lower.
Use heavier bullets and you'll print higher on target.

mzimmers

Bearcat
resident":fu08g6o7 said:
Lighter weight bullets will shoot LOWER than heavier bullets. Why? Because they travel faster and depart the barrel sooner.... earlier in the recoil cycle, while the barrel is pointed lower.
Use heavier bullets and you'll print higher on target.
What he said. Plus, soften your loads for any given bullet, and they'll go higher for the same reason.