Ruger P345 repair

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sheriff10

Bearcat
I have owned a P345 for 4 years. I have shot it very little over that time. 600-700 rounds. The last couple of times at the range, the firing pin failed to advance and strike the round.

After the first range session, I cleaned the gun thoroughly.

Still happened. Some magazines, no problem. Others up to 3-4 misfires each. I changed ammunition quality. Problem persisted.

Overnighted by ground back to Ruger on a Thursday. They received it on the following Monday. $30 total shipping. I expected a phone call from the repair department giving me the repair cost. Also expected to give them my credit card info for repair costs & return shipping.

Nothing. No call. No e-mail. Nothing. They had told me 1-2 weeks turnaround.

On the 14th day, the Fex Ex guy rings the doorbell. I was expecting the 5 free magazines that came with my new S&W M&P 15 AR. Nope.

It was my P345 coming back from Ruger. New firing pin and firing pin spring. It had obviously been cleaned to boot! No charge!

They stand behind their products.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yep, they are good about fixing their stuff. They've had some recall issues that might have hurt a company with a worse reputation, but I've been happy with their service through the recalls and all. Very friendly people to deal with too.

welder

Buckeye
I can over look a lot when the company works hard at rectifying their occasional flaw. I myself have been known to make a mistake or two. I hope Ruger realizes their reputation is largely due to their service, as well as their sturdy guns and fair prices.

chieftain

Bearcat
I just returned from the range and my P345 quit firing after five rounds. I noticed that the first round barely had the impression where the firing pin struck and I tried several more times without succees and the later rounds had no marks on the primers. I have just had the gun a year now but sounds like I may have same issue. Cleaning gun had no effect and different ammo didn't help either. I will try to contact Ruger tomorrow and see what happens. I will keep you posted. One thing I have noticed is that my loaded chamber indicator is slightly raised without a round in the chamber since this issue was noticed???

P.S. I feel a lot better now after finding this post on the web. :)

Chris

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Haven't had to deal with Ruger Customer Service yet.... hopefully I never will. but it's good to hear it's superb.

mcfraser

Bearcat
Am new shooter this summer, and my latest is P345. I loved it the first fifty rounds, but then it did not chamber completely. This happened a couple of times...Any ideas! :(

graygun

Hunter
mcfraser":1am6vjdd said:
Am new shooter this summer, and my latest is P345. I loved it the first fifty rounds, but then it did not chamber completely. This happened a couple of times...Any ideas! :(

Did you do an initial field strip and cleaning? If not,it may have some heavy grease inside that's causing problems.

mcfraser

Bearcat
Yes, thanks, I did initial strip and clean, and absolutely did have heavy grease inside. Thanks again, graygun :)

Bullet Puller

Bearcat
I bought a P345 immediately when they came out. After 100-200 rounds, I suffered symptoms identical to Sheriff10. Removed and disassembled slide and found that the firing pin spring was creeping past the shoulder on the pin and getting caught between the firing pin and the frame. Did a little stone work on the firing pin and clipped off the damaged portion of the spring (about 1/2 turn). That was 5 years ago and have had no problems since. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had seen the same problem.

Larry

chieftain

Bearcat
I hope I am not hijacking original post but thought I would update my situation, P345 failing to strike primer. My pistol was three days from being a year old. I sent it off Nov. 17 and Ruger receieved it the next day. They replaced Blocker Lever and Hammer Assembly at no charge. I received pistol back yesterday afternoon (Dec. 4). I am pretty happy about repairing pistol for free and the quick turn around. There was no correspondence with Ruger other than the initial call about sending firearm in. They repaired it and sent it back. My only negative part of experience I feel is I wish Ruger would have sent shipping box and taken care of shipping to them.

chieftain

Bearcat
I didn't know to ask for a shipping label till later and the lady didn't offer it even though I explained the gun was less than a year old. I will ask next time, but how likely is it to happen again? I own quite a few Rugers and I don't expect to have any more problems.