Ruger P345 - My thoughts, bought used, need suggestions...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
I bought a Ruger P345 at a pawn shop the other day. It's a nice looking pistol with the stainless steel slide. I did a bunch of research before I bought the pistol. Came to the conclusion that it was a pretty safe buy.

It seems most problems have been caused by people dryfiring without the magazine installed. I've heard that if you get a click no bang scenario you can "clean the rear sight" and the problem will be solved. People say the firing pin is not damaged when you dryfire without the magazine but the magazine safety is, which causes the firing pin not to move forward. Clear the problem part and walla! Supposedly if you dryfire with the magazine in you're ok. Either way I cleaned the rear sight yesterday. If that's the only problem and the fix is that simple then I'm all for it. I plan on adding a full range report after I take the pistol out this weekend (I haven't shot it yet).

Since I bought it at the pawn shop it didn't come with anything other than itself. No allen key for the gun lock in the slide. I guess this is ok since it is disabled. I'm sure Ruger will send me one if I ask.

I noticed the safety/decocking lever on the left side of the pistol (the side right handed people use) is very slightly loose. The right hand side safety is more tight/firm. I've heard people say it should be the other way around. The safety doesn't make a clicking sound when it engages like the P95 either. Sometimes there is a light click and other times not. I guess all of this is normal.

That being said, it looks brand new. I field stripped it and cleaned it up. Looks like it hasn't been fired much at all. The barrel is clean.

Does anyone want to input on what I've said or have any new suggestions or thoughts on this pistol. I would prefer answers from people who have experience with the P345.

-Thanks

Lone Wolf McQuade

Single-Sixer
I have had one for over 4 years and have had zero operational issues with it. Purchased a K & D Thunderbird IWB holster for it and hardly know its there when I carry.

Pyromike

Single-Sixer
It's going to be a terrible gun. You'd better send it to me for disposal!

Sounds like a great deal! Go shoot the heck out of it. This is on my list of future purchases.

leejack

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum Texas Rifleman!

Post up a range report when you can.

This gun is on my list of possibles. I'm trying to find out everything I can about it.

Good luck and happy shooting!

Lee

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have any experience with the P-345 although I came really close to buying one a couple of times.
I just wanted to say welcome to RugerForum Texas Rifleman. I think I remember you from THR.

welder

Buckeye
I've had one for a couple years now. Bought it new. Probably 300-350 rounds through it and only a few failures to return to battery in the first few mags. Otherwise there have been no problems at all. I don't especially like the trigger or LCI but you can't have everything, right? I don't dry fire mine, (or any gun for that matter) so the disconnect issue is not one I worry with.

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. From dry firing this pistol (experience with many other firearms noted) I would say the double action is pretty tough but the single action trigger pull on the 345 is one of the best. I'm taking it out tomorrow and will post a report.

Texas Rifleman

Bearcat
I shot it on Sunday and it ran flawlessly. Shot 150 rounds. Pretty accurate too. I didn't get to take any pictures this time. The only range open was the 25 yard. The shots were about 4 inches high but dead in the middle.

delford

Bearcat
I've had mine for a year but due to bad weather only shot it once since December. When I took it out I was with my son and a friend. It did fine for me but had a few FTEs which I think were due to the friend's limpwristing. He hadn't fired a handgun for many years. It was a good chance to tap snap bang, although I talked him through it rather than me doing it. I've put over 500 rounds through mine - CCI Blazer Brass, Winchester White Box and MagTech all in 230 gr. I've never had a problem but if you do make sure it's not you rather than blaming the P345. Reading the instruction book a couple times carefully will help you avoid problems.
I have a High Noon Split Decision IWB holster for mine. Finding reasonably priced ammo is still a problem but we all face that.