Ruger (Original) Vaquero vs New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Aside from the discussion on frame size and Ruger-only loads vs <14,000psi standard 45 Colt loads, were there any design changes or real improvements with the New Vaquero over the original Vaquero that one make it more desirable to own?

Manchester

Bearcat
Warning label was moved to under the barrel and the front edge of the cylinder was given the Ruger bevel. The crescent ejector rod came out on the NV. The grip frame is thinner. Also vaguely remember something about the rear sight being slightly wider.

NikA said:
I believe the RIPS (reverse indexing pawl system) is a New Vaquero/midframe only feature.

It reads like it would be an upgrade, but wondering if the general consensus agrees that it was a true design improvement.

Also, any thoughts regarding overall improvement in quality control? I know I like the factory wide-spur hammer on my Lipsey's version of the New Vaquero, but just didn't know if anything else was improved like better rifling, sights are on straighter, grip frame squares up better to grips, better steel,... you get the idea. Thanks!

teckhardt said:
Warning label was moved to under the barrel and the front edge of the cylinder was given the Ruger bevel. The crescent ejector rod came out on the NV. The grip frame is thinner. Also vaguely remember something about the rear sight being slightly wider.

My Lipsey's Exclusive New Vaquero 45 Colt doesn't have the crescent-shaped ejector tab, and the warning label is on the bottom for both it as well as my original Vaquero model. (Maybe they started that early 2000s.). The grip frames on both of these each measure 0.500" wide. But I really do like the beveled cylinder and wide-spur hammer on the New Vaquero that was not on the original Vaquero. That bevel sure makes it easier on a tight leather holster.

Thanks for all the comments. Any other observations or inside info, like rifling or assembly quality control measures?

Rclark

Hunter
It reads like it would be an upgrade, but wondering if the general consensus agrees that it was a true design improvement.
Well, you might call it an add-on... But it nice to have the cylinder indexed properly now. So to me, yes it was a nice improvement. My favorite set of revolvers all have this feature. .45 Colt New Vaquero, .45 Colt Flattop, .357 Flattop, .44 Special Flattop, and the large frame .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary flattop.

Actually the New Vaquero .45 Colt is limited to 23K not 14K. So you still have plenty of 'head-room' if desired.

Also the New Vaquero just 'feels' better in the hand. All steel grip frame and ejector housing helps I suppose and it's slightly smaller frame makes it more Colt SAA like. I like it. Most of my large frames are gathering dust.

As for quality... No different than any other Ruger revolver out there.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
seasterl said:
NikA said:
I believe the RIPS (reverse indexing pawl system) is a New Vaquero/midframe only feature.

To me it is more like a gift from the Gods because I remove it and the gun becomes a free spinner .
Takes about 1 minute and saves a couple of hours any other way.

dakota1911

Buckeye
With 45 it is easy to see the diff when one looks at the cylinders.

Which would you like to shoot reeeely hot 45 in? Also there is a slight diff in the cylinder length.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
needsmostuff said:
seasterl said:
NikA said:

To me it is more like a gift from the Gods because I remove it and the gun becomes a free spinner .
Takes about 1 minute and saves a couple of hours any other way.

Not removing all of the RIP System, just the indexing pawl in the hammer channel.

Latest posts