Ruger Old Model Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I just bought a 1969 made Ruger Blackhawk in 357 Magnum - all original inside, no transfer bar "upgrade". While I'm OK with honest wear this gun has what I would call "damage wear" - round splotches of bare metal or discolored bluing on the barrel, receiver and cylinder. Alloy grip looks fine.

I checked the Ruger website, they do revolver rebluing for $130.00 plus shipping. Good deal. What's not a good deal is the original parts disappearing once Ruger gets their hands on the gun.

If I remove all the internals and send just the frame, cylinder and grip frame will Ruger do the reblue?

Alternative approach - suppose I bought an OM BH frame only, with cylinder and grip frame. No internals. Would Ruger reblue and install transfer bar internals? I don't need that done, but if it's the only way.

Any suggestions appreciated.

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd pull the OM parts they would replace by doing the transfer bar upgrade,, and ship them the gun for re-bluing. Then, you can easily replace the OM parts after it returns.
They do not always keep the OM parts,,BUT,, if they determine the OM parts might be defective, (think unsafe,) they MIGHT keep them. So, by removing them,, you will assure yourself of having the original parts.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Why not find a real gunsmith somewhat 'locally' and have him re-blue it for you. There are folks here that reside in your state that may be able to refer you to someone who won't butcher your gun under the guise of being a 'gunsmith'. Frankly, $130 + shipping seems a bit high to me...but then, I haven't been out in the world for the past 2+ years.

J.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Re locally - I'm in northern CA and good gunsmiths are few and far between. None within decent driving distance. I know my gun stores pretty well and am certain they would direct me to go factory. I bought it in a LGS in southern OR and their suggestion was to go factory. $130.00 plus shipping is pretty cheap. Ballpark on good reblue is pretty easily +$200.00 plus shipping.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
contender said:
I'd pull the OM parts they would replace by doing the transfer bar upgrade,, and ship them the gun for re-bluing. Then, you can easily replace the OM parts after it returns.
They do not always keep the OM parts,,BUT,, if they determine the OM parts might be defective, (think unsafe,) they MIGHT keep them. So, by removing them,, you will assure yourself of having the original parts.

Thought about that - it's my "back up to back up" plan. Hopefully the transfer bar innards cost less than the originals. Picked up a Single Six that had been converted and the "retro" parts cost me about $75.00.

jgt

Buckeye
I have seen factory Ruger re-blue jobs. They look really good at a distance. Up close, they looked like some ham-handed hack did the polishing job. It was immediately apparent the gun had been re-blued. It all depends on the person at the factory that is given your project and how experienced they are. Some guns look pretty good, others I have seen looked like it might have been a job given to someone as a starting position in their employment. If you don't care about keeping the holes from being dished out and the writing buffed off in places then real basket case guns can get done and look better from a distance than how they look now. If you care about those things, you are better off studying up on how to prepare one and do it yourself. Then have one of the better gunsmiths re-blue it.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I definitely recommend a factory refinish. Never seen or heard of anything like jgt described come back from a "for sure" factory refinish. The ones I've had done were as good or better than original factory finish; same equipment, techniques and experienced employees. Keep your internals.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Added plus.
If sending it in for the safety upgrade the shipping, both ways, is on them. You should only have to pay for the re-bluing.
But verify they are doing comedic work now. I had heard they are backed up and not taking on work.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I appreciate the responses. I see the transfer bar parts run about $25.00. If I buy one with a broken part seems I could send it in for free and then "oh BTW - how about a reblue ....?" I might at least get free shipping both ways. ;)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You don't need to do all that. Just take the original action parts out. Just call them for the free retrofit of the safety action parts and the free shipping label, tell them you'd like it refinished while they have it. That's all you have to do.

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have "rescued" two OMBH's in the past, a 357 and 41. Both sent to Bowen for "refurbishment", including new front sight, Bowen rear sight, decked grip frame, new cerrakote on grip frame, locking base pin and new reblue. Great result. Couldn't be more satisfied.

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
dfletcher, I'm in the Sacramento vicinity and have seen you posted often on Calguns. If you're in Redding or higher (State Of Jefferson) you'll more correctly say I'm in "northern central Ca.". I go to a very old school gunsmith in Woodland named Maraviov. I feel like I'm in the 1970s when I'm in there. He's done three jobs for me including rebarreling a Colt Bisley. He reblue a barrel on another SA but I forgot the price. But I think his price would exceed $130 (which sounded pretty good to me). I just mention him because he did fine work for me personally. don't know if he has reviews on his webpage but I would check that out first.
For fun your gun sounds like a good candidate to have the frame case colored.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I sent a OM in. I had ruger install a steel grip frame and reblue the gun. I did get the OM parts back. I would suggest you take the specific OM parts that they would change out and send it in. The free shipping for the conversion makes it a good deal. You pay for the blueing and it ships both ways free. It costs a whole lot to ship a revolver on your own now.

If it goes to Ruger it will be converted. There is no way they will reblue it without converting it even if you pay shipping,. The reblue looks like the finish on the new guns. A little too new for my taste. If the grip frame is good you might actually be happier with a local reblue.

hdrk1111

Bearcat
a friend of mine had an OM done at Wyoming Armory. It is stunning with case color frame and beautiful bluing. A lot more than 139.00 though. But I'm sending an old model single six to them.