ruger Old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
Guys I am going to look at an Old Army tomorrow. it is in red two piece box and is unfired. It has 7.5" barrel. What would it be worth?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Is it marked "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty"??

Some of those models were made in stainless, IIRC.......and they
have a bit more value.

So, bottom line, a bit more detailed info would be beneficial to this discussion.

JMHO,

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
I recently paid $390 for an unfired blue 1975 ROA. Came in an incorrect yellow box and I have not been able to find a proper box for it. The prices for ROA are going steadily up at this point so in my neck of the woods up to $450 for the total package would seem a reasonable price.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I think the two-piece box was done before the Liberty guns. Liberty guns were in the thin red & white one-piece box. As far as I know, the two-piece box was gone before the stainless guns as well.

Value for an unfired gun in the two-piece would depend on serial number but should be at least $450. The lower numbers, three digit guns with flattop front sights, two digit guns, brass frame guns, etc... will bring more.

flatgate

Hawkeye
63305197.jpg

Lousy image, but here's the box WMG is discussing.

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
That is the very box I have been trying to track down for 4 months with no luck flatgate.

lmd, I was probably the one biddding against you on your box. DRAT. DRAT, DRAT

flatgate

Hawkeye
Chance":lif81za5 said:
That is the very box I have been trying to track down for 4 months with no luck flatgate.

The boxes from that era are quite "generic" with a simple sticky label on one end. A hair drier softens the adhesive in a heart beat.

So, find a nice condition box of the proper length then start looking for a good label with a ratty box attached.......been there/done that.

flatgate

Chance

Buckeye
Thanks flagate, sounds like a plan. Amazing how hard the red and white boxes are to come by.

Side note: My wife was born in Basin, Wy and there are family stories of the women and children being loaded up in wagons, and on foot being moved to Star Valley back in the days when there were still problems with the Indians. That was must have been some trek.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Whew, I guess that was some journey! Too bad the guys didn't have Super Blackhawks and a ton of .44 mag. ammo!

Rumors exist that Butch Cassidy wandered through here a time or two...

flatgate