Ruger Old Army

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HW11

Single-Sixer
As with most things I'm late to the ball game on this. I kinda want a Ruger cap and ball. I really like the shorter barrel with the fixed sights. Well as everyone except me knows until now they are hard to find and when you do find one it's pricey. All that being said ,if they are so popular why did Ruger stop making them? There seems to be a market for them.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
All blackpowder firearms stopped after William B. Ruger passed on. The Old Army is an exceptional piece. Shorter 5.5" are high in price. Don't wait too long. I've been watching 2 Stainless models, 7.5" One adjustable sights. Other fixed and polished. Both $1100. But, all guns are going up.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
The 77/50 rifles are extremely accurate. I would think those would sell as well as a cap and ball revolver. Black powder Blackhawk. Interesting reading in RL Wildon's book. " Ruger and His Guns". Bill opened up nipples on an OA, packed cylinders full of Bullseye powder! Could not destroy it. Now, don't go and try this at home. But, it is described in book.

RSIno1

Hunter
I had a NIB Stainless I sold about 6 months ago for $850 and regret it. I decided since it was new I'd sell it and buy a used one to shoot. Never happened now they are too pricey.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Well as everyone except me knows until now they are hard to find and when you do find one it's pricey. All that being said said:
Stopped making them because they are so popular! Which means there's a ton on the used market which didn't help Ruger's new gun sales! There's a market all right but also a supply. Because they're not currently made new, only artificially inflates the secondary market price.

HW11

Single-Sixer
I'll keep looking for a shooter. I don't need a new one or box and papers. I just want a good working gun to shoot. My other want list is a 3 screw 357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. Just looking for something to shoot.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
HW11 said:
I'll keep looking for a shooter. I don't need a new one or box and papers. I just want a good working gun to shoot. My other want list is a 3 screw 357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. Just looking for something to shoot.

Post a WTB ad here on the Cowboy Shooting Forum-SASS. They both show up on occasion.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/forum/14-sass-wire-classifieds/

HW11

Single-Sixer
Hawkeye I at that one. It's not really about budget. Somebody would probably really like to have that nice package for a collection or to shoot every now and then. I don't won't to take something for that collector value and carry it everyday cutting wood, trail riding on a horse or 4 wheeler. I carry one all the time when I'm out and about. Everyday use wears on one after a while. I hate to take one that nice and use it like I do.