Ruger Old Army Stainless Centennial Model Value?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I have a Ruger Old Army in Stainless centennial model in beautiful shape. The question is do you think they will go up considerably in value?

I have had the Old Army since 76 with the 76 serial number which is only 4 lol. And since I got the Neat Ruger when I was 13 it gave me a good many of fun days shooting. But I have just not had the time to shoot the ole girl. As my main interests have been the .44 Mag Ruger Bisley Hunter as of late.

So for this reason I am trying to decide whether I should keep it or sell it to someone that would use it and have fun with it. And use the funds to purchase some other Ruger in .44 Mag ? :)

YES I do like .44 MAG lol. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Well,,, the value of "Liberty" guns is usually only about $50 or so over non-Liberty guns if NIB. Yours has been shot,, so it's used and that hurts the resale. But,,,, the stainless Liberty's without a prefix as yours seems to be is a bit more scarce. Only about 5000 of those were made. The serial number range is 2894 to 7789 according to the RENE.
Then there is to packaging. Do you still have the box,, papers,,, shipper,,, etc??? It all affects the value. If it were mine,,, I'd keep it for a couple of reasons. (Seller remorse,,, it's been yours etc.)

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
Nope no box or anything. But again it is still in beautiful shape. Maybe too nice for its age lol. As when I first got it I was told that you need to clean them as soon as you can so I would take a bottle of windex with me while shooting and spray it down and really do a good field clean on it. Then when I got home it all came apart every screw and I had the correct screwdrivers to do it lol. Heck even the nipples came out each time for a real good cleaning and then when done I would oil everything back up and put it back together. The only thing that shows wear is the grips as it has been used.

I will add I am still amazed at how well it shoots. As I would feel good about putting it up against a center fire pistol at 25 yards.

Over the years I have shot other makes of black powder revolvers but none come close to the Ruger. And they say well it is not period correct and I say well it might not be period correct but I can hit what I aim at lol.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The prefixed Liberty KBP7's are rarer than the non-prefixed guns, I think there were only a couple thousand of the prefixed ones. The stainless gun started with no prefix in 1975 and then they decided it should be prefixed like all the rest sometime in 1976, so the Liberty guns can be found either with or without the prefix.

street

Hunter
weaselmeatgravy, I think you are correct. Here is the information that I have:

Liberty Pre-fix Stainless Old Armys about 800 made.
Non-prefix Stainless Old Armys about 5000 made.

Now here is the kicker. Liberty Blue Old Armys only 3300 made. This makes it more rare then the non-prefix Stainless Liberty Old Armys!!!!!

There are some very hard to find guns in the 200 yr series. Just check out the number made for the 30 Carb., 41 Mags, and the 45 Long Colts. I'm sure that the Double Actions have some rare guns also, but I just don't keep up with them.

All Vaqueros are New Models even the Old Model Vaqueros are New Models.

edlmann

Blackhawk
contender":1dp56jbq said:
Well,,, the value of "Liberty" guns is usually only about $50 or so over non-Liberty guns if NIB.

People all too often miss this point.

I remember a lot of hype about the supposed collectibility of these in the late '70s, but that seems to have not passed the test of time. It's kind of interesting, but in the end, unless NIB, no big whoop.

About '83 or so a gun shop now long closed sold my Dad a 6" stainless security six Liberty model they found behind some other stuff in one of their safes. Sold it to him for the '76 price, not inflated. Nice bunch that didn't survive the late '80s/early '90s.
[/i]