Ruger Old Army serial number-no prefix

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cbvanb

Bearcat
Greetings all. I'm negotiating with a seller who has a stainless ROA, adjustable sights, 7.5" bbl that has a 4 digit serial number with no prefix. He inherited the gun and knows next to nothing about it other than it appears to be unfired. I can't find any information on any ROA with that style serial number. He thinks it may have come from one of the specialty distributors, such as Hortons, but he isn't sure. Anybody have any idea of the origins of this gun???

hittman

Staff member
1975 serial numbers 1 to 2694
1976 serial numbers 2695 and up

Does it say "Made In The 200th Year of American Liberty" on the barrel? If so, it was made in 1976. With the info given I see no reason to believe it's any kind of a special distributor item.

Cbvanb

Bearcat
hittman said:
1975 serial numbers 1 to 2694
1976 serial numbers 2695 and up

Does it say "Made In The 200th Year of American Liberty" on the barrel? If so, it was made in 1976. With the info given I see no reason to believe it's any kind of a special distributor item.
I'm waiting for the answer on that question. The gun is engraved but it looks like some sort of laser engraving, not a factory cut style. It might be something done privately, and unfortunately it's in a different state and he apparently doesn't know how to take a decent picture!

G2

Hunter
The first Stainless OA's didn't get the prefix as mentioned above /\

Another thing to look for is the roll mark "Black Powder Only" on the cylinder,
Does it read correctly,
Correctly meaning if you are holding the gun can you read it,
OR
Do you have to read it from the other direction,,, in other words point it at yourself to read it. :shock:

It's called the Reverse Roll-mark, created by a production mistake, either by a trainee or on a Friday. :roll:

The 4 digit SN# Stainless Guns are kinda a cool variation.
I had one one with the Reverse RM but traded it for a 454/45 Redhawk Alaskan, it's a 4 digit too, but w/ prefix.