Ruger Old Army pics

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bluestraw

Bearcat
WOW can these guys multiply. All purchased in 09' and I haven't fired a darn one yet. :(

Got a question about my 3 Amigos. The center one has the warning printed on the side of the barrel. Why different?
ThreeAmigos.jpg

ROAswithTaylors45conversions.jpg

ROA1978.jpg

bluestraw

Bearcat
Thanks guys! :D I've got a Brassy coming in a week or so as well.:wink: Then my ROA wants should be limited to the Liberty model in Blue & SS. Although, temptation is a evil gal. :twisted:
I'm thinking about using the Brassy with the .45 LC conversion for deer hunting this season.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Ruger used up quite a few of the "left over" OM Brass Grip Frames on the Old Armys. The only "sure" way of knowing if it was shipped that way is to ask Ruger.

140-11458, shipped July 1973, letters as a BP-7B

63305197.jpg

You have a nice group of Old Army Revolvers!

flatgate

bluestraw

Bearcat
Thanks Flatgate. :) Every once in a while I read where a persons Ruger, letters as this or that. Is that what your referring to? Would one just send a letter asking asking about a certain Rugers history? Would email serve the same purpose? I think I'd like to have an actual letter on Ruger letterhead, is that possible?

Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
bluestraw,, you can get a nice letter from Ruger for free, on company letterhead quite easily. All you do is call Ruger during normal business hours (EST) at 603-863-3300, ask for Records,,, and when the nice lady answers in that dept,, ask her for a shipping date, model info,, and the letter. You will need to supply her with the model & serial number. It's easy & free. If it letters as a factory brassie,,, you'll be glad you did it!

bluestraw

Bearcat
Thanks Contender! I'll be calling them Monday. :D I took the grips off and the grip frame has the following on the SN# side. "MR-3DB" Can anyone comment on this? I'd take a pix, but my wife took the camera with her and the kids.

Thanks

americal

Hunter
SOMEMORE nice looking Rugers 8) 8) Back in 90"S they were cheap at gunshows in south :!: but times have changed bring high prices now esp. the older models-- usually they will have box & paper work cannot find A single six box :x :x :(

flatgate

Hawkeye
bluestraw":2h8epstr said:
Thanks Contender! I'll be calling them Monday. :D I took the grips off and the grip frame has the following on the SN# side. "MR-3DB"

MR-3D is the nomenclature for the square trigger guard Super Blackhawk grip frame.

B, obviously, indicates Brass. :D

162714758.jpg

The brass grip frames were sold through the Dealers and were also Factory installed on a small quantity of Blackhawks, Super Blackhawks and Old Armys. Most of us Collectors covet anything even remotely related to the Brass Grip Frames... :D

flatgate

bluestraw

Bearcat
That's exactly what my frame looks like Flatgate. A little dingier inside though. :shock: Even has the O-1 thingy stamp above the MR. Now it looks unfired to my untrained eye, with almost zero ring marks on the cylinder. Now, since I don't have the box & papers, would anyone think it would be a Sin to use this for my first Deer hunt with a .45LC conversion?

flatgate

Hawkeye
If it letters as a BP-7B then keeping it as pristine as possible will keep the value up.

Now, around here a Black Powder era cartridge, i.e. the classic .45 Colt cartridge, is in no way, shape or form legal for hunting "Big Game".....

A Blackhawk in .41, .44 or .45 with "high energy" loads fits the bill.

flatgate

bluestraw

Bearcat
oldgoat46":1tx264gh said:
Will an old bianchi blackhawk 7 1/2" flap holster fit or does it require a special old army holster? thanks
I was wondering the same since they seem easier to find. I'm guessing it should fit just fine. Would like to hear from someone who has done this before I make a purchase. :)

Knuckles

Buckeye
I love the color of the grips with the red medallions... specially the way the sun lights up the grain in the two on the left... great looking guns.
ThreeAmigos.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
I have several Old Army's myself,,, and I too haven't fired any of them. I happen to have a factory verified Brassie and it's boxed with the shipper. I like keeping the value of it where it should be.
As a longtime handgun hunter,,, who can appreciate the desires of using one deer hunting,,, I'd opt for a different gun MYSELF to carry afield. See, sometimes hunts just don't go as planned. Did I tell ya about the Super Redhawk that fell out of a friends holster on a bear hunt & got the target gray finish all scratched up,,,,,??? I bought that gun quite cheap due to his negligence, or rather to his abuse of the gun.