RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
This is one I picked up yesterday

sturm009.jpg

sturm010.jpg

bluestraw

Bearcat
Nice pic Wyandot Jim! :shock:
As a longtime handgun hunter,,, who can appreciate the desires of using one deer hunting,,, I'd opt for a different gun MYSELF to carry afield.
Contender, these ROA's are my only choice of pistol. I was planning on packin it along with my White Mountain Carbine. I'd only use it on 30yrds or less. I guess I could use a lanyard somehow. :wink:
RPM Enterprises I forgot about that model. Is that from GB a couple of weeks back? Looks super nice!!

bluestraw

Bearcat
flatgate":1s6dvtpm said:
Now, around here a Black Powder era cartridge, i.e. the classic .45 Colt cartridge, is in no way, shape or form legal for hunting "Big Game".....

flatgate
Not sure how I missed this post Flatgate. :oops: According to Illinois DNR....

**Legal Firearms**
 -Shotguns, loaded with slugs only, of not
larger than 10 nor smaller than 20 gauge, not
capable of firingmore than 3 consecutive slugs;
or
 -Single or double barreled muzzleloading rifles
of at least .45 caliber shooting a single projectile
through a barrel of at least sixteen inches in
length; or
 -Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot
handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum
barrel length of 4 inches.

--For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge
of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding
1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire
cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of
which must be available as a factory load with
the published ballistic tables of themanufacturer
showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds
of energy at the muzzle.Note:There is no case
length limit for straight-walled cartridges.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Standard Pressure .45 Colt meets those requirements as I see it.

Factory loads with published ballistics? Enter Buffalo Bore:
Standard Pressure Heavy .45 Colt - 255gr. Gas checked soft cast bullet (1000 fps M.E.566 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... etail&p=45

I'm pushing kooz-cast 255 grain Keiths out of my NV around 1K fps with Unique and Herco with a lower charge weight than Alliant's published max for the .45 Colt. I know deer get a little bigger up in your area, but I would have no qualms about tocuhing one of these off looking at a Texas whitetail inside my comfort zone.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Aggie01, What will happen to that Buf-Bore 255grn gas check / soft cast ?...... what will the bullet do when it smacks game?
Bud

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, I'm just trying to help the OP feel comfortable hunting with a catridge conversion .45 Colt in a ROA.

I have no idea how the GC saft cast will perform on game. I doubt that Mr. Sundles would steer you wrong tho.

The way I read the regulation, all you have to do to make your cartridge legal is have factory ammo available with published data which meets the minimum requirements. There is no requirement to use that specific ammo. Use the Buffalo Bore as your published data, and load whatever you want.

I base this from some Mike Bellm notes:
"The reason for wanting to still be able to shoot rimless ammo is largely for those good folks in my home state of Illinois where this guy grew up as a pig farmer weilding a razor blade on the back end of boar pigs starting at about age 8. Thankfully, I learned to exercise more finesse carving steel than I did carving out supper. So much for the more colorful side of my history.

In Illinois, the .300 Whisper and the .30 Bellm are the only two bottleneck cartridges grandfathered in as legal handgun deer hunting rounds. There are those who are more enthralled with the mystique of the miniscule Fireball case and its practicality compared to the larger and somewhat faster .30 Bellm.

Thus I have crafted the .300 Whisp-R Imp. so that standard .300 Whisper ammo can be fired in the chamber, making it legal for use in Illinois for deer. The letter of the Illinois regulations stipulate what ammo can be used, not the chamber. So if you have a box of commercially loaded Cor-bon ammo, you are "good to go" hunting deer with it. "

I just checked my notes, with 9.5 Grains Unique, I was getting 1030 fps @ 10 ft from the muzzle with a 255 gn hard cast keith bullet out of my 5.5" New Vaquero. This is Alliant's MAX load for a std pressure .45 colt. Work up if you try this.
You lose nothing in performance with this load compared to the ever popular "Skeeter load" heavily favored by the .44 special affecianados.

bluestraw

Bearcat
Aggie01":16idlwad said:
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, I'm just trying to help the OP feel comfortable hunting with a catridge conversion .45 Colt in a ROA.
Not at all Aggie01.:D This is the round I was thinking about using. :D

Kanook

Buckeye
Since I can't figure out how to post pictures, I shot a 125lb spike last year with my brass framed old army at about 50yds. The deer ran down the hill about 30yds and fell over.

G2

Hunter
A little help posting pictures for Kanook. I did clean em up a little.g2

DeerwithOldArmy.jpg

FanofOldArmies.jpg

newestROA.jpg

Kanook

Buckeye
Thanks for posting those pics for me. As you can see my addiction keeps me from learning this computer thing.

G2

Hunter
In my recent pursuit of a 7.5 Stainless Old Army I picked this gem up. I'm not really a Collector, more a Shooter and can't bring myself to shooting this as it appears to have never been shot.
It needs to find a Collectors home.
A true 3 dgt SN# gun 646 and it wears the reverse roll mark cylinder.
OA.jpg

OA646cu.jpg

OAcu.jpg

Kanook

Buckeye
I've only got 2 that are unfired, the wife would kill me if I got another. I had to pass up on another brass frame last month. The 3 digit would be something that the wife would notice really fast.

bluestraw

Bearcat
Kanook":2h4q32ij said:
The 3 digit would be something that the wife would notice really fast.
Heck, my wife has only layed eyes on one of my 10 pistols/3 rifles. :lol: Dislikes guns and really has no interest in seeing them I guess. :? Nice looking collection you've got there. I especially like the Stag 5.5 adj. sight. Are you the original owner? BTW, I like the deer shot.:D

That's one clean 3 digit G2!! :shock: Sure wish I had the extra coin lying around. Would you take a 2 1/2 yr old, almost potty trained little.......oh nevermind. Who would inherit my guns then? :roll: :wink:

Kanook

Buckeye
I bought my first stainless to get it converted to 50, then the wife saw it and I lost it. I then bought the high polish with faux grips for the conversion and the wife snatched that one next. The 5.5 stainless for a back-up she claimed the day it showed up. I was able to find the 4th stainless and she said i could keep it for my conversion.

The 5.5 adj sight is my most recent and that is why it's not in the family photo. But as you can see I now have an odd #

The deer is my first handgun/muzzleloading harvest.

My wife is my hunting partner which is good and bad. Last night we went gator hunting and we had to leave early (10pm) so she could get some sleep for work. I'm disabled and can't work right now so she does most of the income untill I can get a cheque somehow

Latest posts