Ruger Old Army Brass Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mcgivern

Bearcat
Found a Ruger Old Army with a brass frame at a small local gun show this weekend. An elderly gentleman had it on his table along with a Super Blackhawk. He said he bought both in the mid70's. Fired the OA a few times, then cleaned it and put it away. Serial number is 140-17xxx which puts it in 1974. Asked him to remove the grip panels and the frame is marked MR3DB. What is the approximate value? Thanks.

G2

Hunter
Blue OA's 5-600, Stainless +50-100.
Brass Grip Frame OA's 8-900, BUT as of late gun prices are on the move up, way up and Old Army's have been getting snatched up for a couple of years. They seem to slow down some during the winter months and surge in the spring/summer.
These should also have squished shinny bird medallions on the grips w/ blue escutcheons & blue screw. Wide Grooved Super Trigger.

It's tempting to polish up the Brass, keep in mind when you do it is "pretty" but you wipe away years of patina. IMO,,, I did this once and regretted it, :oops: It only gets better as time goes by.

Brass is where it's at with the Old Army, the total package. :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the RENE Guide,, a factory lettered brass framed Old Army is about $920 in minty condition. Note; the key here is factory lettered.
If you got the serial number, we could help verify it. Dougan's book has a pretty good record of all of them.

oma54

Bearcat
According to the RENE Guide,, a factory lettered brass framed Old Army is about $920 in minty condition. Note; the key here is factory lettered.
If you got the serial number, we could help verify it. Dougan's book has a pretty good record of all of them.
Could you or would you please beable help verify this and what value it is? I believe someone maybe trying lowball value of this pistol...I have other pics I just previously put on here as well

Attachments

• 20221113_132525.jpg
    20221113_132525.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 58

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd be glad to help with the value of that OA. Where are the other pictures? As they say, "The devil is in the details." Your OA was made in 1978. with OA's, condition is very important. NIB, ANIB, bring top dollar. Missing the box & papers,, value drops some. If it's been shot,, then due to the potential of rust & crud from a spot missing the good cleaning can hurt.
If in very good condition, no rust or crud, having been shot,, I'd say in the $700-$750 ballpark. I've seen some sell for more,, but again, condition & a buyer's "wants" can drive it up. Looking at my quote above,, it's an older one. A current brass framed OA is more than the $920.00 I mentioned.
I turned one down about a year ago that had some serious pitting in the barrel & a few other places (and it was stainless,) that was offered to me at $300.

contender

Ruger Guru
I just found your pictures in another thread.
MUCH better.
Ok, you have what APPEARS to be a LNIB gun. I can't tell if it's been shot or not. But it does appear to be in pretty good condition. Plus, you have a Ruger/Bianchi OA flap holster. The holster alone is worth $125-$145 by itself. (I recently sold one for $135 shipped.)
The gun would be in the $750-$800 ballpark if it's not been shot. Having the box & much of the paperwork has helped.
I didn't see the wax paper wrap, or the brown cardboard shipper for the box.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem on this being an old thread.

oma54 is a new member & we are trying to help him.

See my post above your latest pictures. As I said,, I found your other pics. I'd say this package is in the $750-$800 range, WITHOUT the holster. Add $125-$145 for the holster. That brings it to about $900-$950 for the entire package.

oma54

Bearcat
Thank you very much...ik what to ask for at gun show or have idea of what I should expect around value

chet15

Hawkeye
JD;s book does not include a bunch of the last brass frame old army's... I think he stopped with production in 1972 or 1973. Would have to look at his index but I don't think he goes much above 140-06xxx or 140-07xxx. That barely gets into the two piece black and yellow box guns, and then there are red hinged BP7B's after that. We had a 140-18xxx gun and a 140-21xxx gun that lettered, but those are on the super high end.
Chet15