Ruger Octagon barrel "Blent" Eject Housing Screw

Help Support Ruger Forum:

was1911

Bearcat
I don't have the gun fully together yet but I have these pics of the blended screw/ejector housing and how I did my version of one Bowen did on a round barrel.

DSCN2990.JPG

DSCN2997.JPG

DSCN3006.JPG

DSCN3009.JPG

DSCN3010.JPG

DSCN3022.JPG

DSCN3013.JPG

DSCN3024.JPG

DSCN3025.JPG

DSCN3026.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

95% finished dressing the area and almost ready to blue.

DSCN3046.JPG

Blued and mounted.

DSCN1571.JPG

contender

Ruger Guru
As I have said before,,,it's these very minor details, that give an overall appearance that is truly craftsmanship! Subtle yet nice!

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Very nice!! The entire gun looks great and is almost exactly how I'd have the gun built.

So aside from milling a flat on the back of the ERH, what's the challenge in mating an ERH to an octagon barrel?

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
Haha nope, but his pictures described that part of things pretty well. It does look great. Regulated screws have always caught my eye and this is no exception.

It's just depending on the gun it seems fitting the ERH on an octagon can be as simple as milling the backside flat or can be as involved as mating to an angle on the octagon which I imagine is quite a bit harder. The custom smiths get $1k give or take for the octagon, and I'm curious what about the process justifies the cost.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That's beautiful machining.

I see that, milling the flat on the Ruger housing at the right distance from the face of the barrel flat to the center of the ejector hole in the frame gets into the narrow cross sectional contour of the housing and the housing ends up narrower than the barrel flat as shown. If one wanted the flat on the housing the same width as the barrel flat, one would have to make a new housing with a 'fatter' cross section.

The MK Technologies housing is a little beefier in cross section and it might work out.

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
Boy would I like to have tools like you have access to. Can not say I could use them as well as you do, but I'd try. Nice work.

mrdix

Single-Sixer
its refreshing to see real gunsmithing on this forum as opposed to the "dremel tool" Jobs some folks pass off .The attention to detail , the quality of the work is outstanding , folks with some knowledge will recognize the fine details not only in the work , but in the set ups shown in the pictures , there are details there for those who pay attention . For example look at the arbor for the jewelers saw ; extra support to eliminate chattering ... the list goes on . Thank you sir for your time and sharing .

Latest posts