ruger OAR cap lock revolvers info wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eastbank

Single-Sixer
i have been offered several NOS old army revolvers, 650.00 blue 7.5" adjustable sights in the grey plastic boxs with all papers and several NOS 750.00 stainless OAR,s 7.5" adjustable sights in the grey plastic boxs with all paper work. should i buy them? thanks/

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Are you into black powder? That could make a difference.

Black powder is a venture in itself. It is smoky, stinks, and fouls the gun and hands. You cannot see you bullet strike down range most of the time because of the smoke screen you have laid down. You don't measure velocity in feet per second, but miles per hour.

But then, nobody pesters you for your empty brass at the range.

Bottom line, you interested in these for shooters? Or put back for sale later at a profit?

My suggestion is, if not wanting shooters, pass up the deal. You may not live long enough for them to appreciate in value enough to make your efforts worthwhile.

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
As Bob says it depends on what you are going to use the ROAs (Ruger Old Army) for.... I personally like shooting black powder once is awhile. Not quite as bad as Bob implies :) . Gives one an appreciation of pre-smokeless six-gunning and I actually enjoy it. Easy clean-up. Everyone should at least try some black powder shooting just to have a feel for it in my opinion :) . Might get hooked on it too!

Not sure what NOS stands for though.

If looking to sell later ... You won't loose money on them as they aren't made any more. What I bought for $400 a few years ago is now going for $600+ . Some more than others. I don't buy guns for potential 'profit'. I buy to shoot, so I'm probably not the man to talk too on this subject :) .

RSIno1

Hunter
NOS (New Old Stock) blue are $750 and Stainless $8-900. Plastic boxes mean they are not real early but still worth a premium with all their papers, box, nipple wrench. Try for 6 for blue and 650-700 for stainless if you are buying in bulk. I'd be interested in a Stainless one.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
thanks for the info, i will try to get a package deal on all of them, one SS has factory fake ruger ivory grips.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Bear in mind that compared to cartridge guns a higher percentage of black powder guns never get fired before being sold as pre-owned guns. Unfired ones are not all that scarce. I just bought an early 1970s Thompson Center Hawken unfired at a price that would have been a bargain for one that been used for hunting. Most stores are only buying them if they are included in a lot with modern guns.

The last time I bought a ROA, maybe 5 years ago, Cabela's price of an unfired stainless one was $600 + tax. I bought a blued one because I liked its brass Dragoon grip frame but that makes it not comparable to the standard blued ones that you are looking at. I doubt the gun buying panic of the last couple years raised black powder gun prices much.

On the bright side the ROA was the best cap-n-ball revolver ever made for practical shooters. They're great fun.

chet15

Hawkeye
eastbank said:
thanks for the info, i will try to get a package deal on all of them, one SS has factory fake ruger ivory grips.

That one is probably a limited distributor run that had those grips.
Chet15

chet15 said:
eastbank said:

That one is probably a limited distributor run that had those grips.
Chet15

Chet15, here's a quote from a post of yours on 12/18/2011:
chet15 said:
Ruger did do one high polish adj. sight model but it also came with simulated ivory grip panels.
From the reference:

GKBPI-7 (Ruger model 1407). Known s/n range 145-76897 to 145-80274. A total of 2,126 shipped in 1995 to all distributors with last group being shipped to NRSS (OH).

Chet15

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Old Armies are very accurate! I fit a Red Hawk gold bead on front of a Stainless model, with a One Ragged Hole peep rear sight. Very easy to get a tight group.