Ruger Number 3 223 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hello,

So, stopped in at one of the many shops in my area and on the wall in a No.3 in 223. Serial number 132-26XXX. Not sure of the last numbers. Anyway, I have never really taken much interest in 3's because I am always focused on No.1's. I handled it and inspected. A few small dents in the wood but the metal is 99%. It also had rings installed. The rings where sitting on blocks that reminded me of No.1V scope bases. It had rings that we set back to allow the scope to be mounted further back.

They are asking $850.

I showed interest but needed to do my research.

So, tell me about the No. 3 in 223 and the pro's and con's.

Bill

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Well, we want what we want, I understand that :oops:
but even at $650, that's a PREMIUM price for a No. 3 in 223. I'm confident you could find a No.1 in 223 for right around that price with some looking and patience.

gatling

Blackhawk
I agree with what's being said above. I searched completed auctions on GB and No. 3 Rugers seem to be selling in the $550 to $650 range when they sell at all. There are the rare ones (375 Winchester and 44 mag) and they command a premium, but I think .223 is not that rare a caliber in this rifle. The rings and the mounts add a bit to the value. My guess is the guy is using that price as a starting point for negotiations. I'd like to own one in .223, but not enough to pay $850 for it. Still, if it talks to you and you plan on owning it for a long time, that extra $200 doesn't mean much spread over 30 or 40 years. At least that's the rationale I've always used for paying too much for a firearm. They are very cool rifles, in my opinion.

One more thought...for $130, Ruger will reblue your rifle and it will come back looking really good. I did that with a 45 70 No. 3 and I was astounded at how well it turned out.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
a ruger # one in .223 in very good condition at 650.00 would last about as long as a snow flake in a steel mill. i have a ruger #1B in .223 i have been offered 800.00 for and turned down the offer. eastbank.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
eastbank said:
a ruger # one in .223 in very good condition at 650.00 would last about as long as a snow flake in a steel mill. i have a ruger #1B in .223 i have been offered 800.00 for and turned down the offer. eastbank.
At one time yes; not right now. (blame it on Trump winning :roll: )
I watch a lot of Ruger No. One (and a few No. 3) auctions and have been amazed that nice rifles are only selling in the $700 and under range. In fact I have my eye on a few that are ending soon and some come with nice scopes and/or expensive aftermarket triggers.

jyo

Single-Sixer
Years ago, I traded for a Ruger #3 in .223 with #1 wood fitted to it---it shot well and I really liked it, but I had bought it for a project---I wanted to rebarrel it in .454 Casull---which I did---a guy bought the .223 barrel and another guy bought the #1 wood---no problem as I had two sets of #3 wood lying around---one set was fitted with a recoil pad and a contrasting dark wood tip---I didn't care for that set, but it fit right onto the now .454 with no issues and it's still there, but could be replaced---the other wood set is standard #3 and could be fitted to that rifle with some work… Still a work in progress, but it shoots well though full-shout .454 ammo WILL get your attention...