Ruger no.3 rebore

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have a nice no.3 in 22 hornet that I am thinking about sending to Jes Reboring to have bored to 38-55. This is my third no.3 the others being 45-70 and 30-40 krag. The 22 hornet just doesn't excite me. It shoots great but it's just a little to heavy for a hornet at 7.3 pounds. My 45-70 is a pound lighter and it makes a handy hunting rifle. I am not a huge collector of Ruger so don't know if reboring the hornet would be some kind of unforgivable sin or something. I know they are not all that common anymore but I sure would get more use and enjoyment out of it if it was a larger caliber and more handy. What to do, sell it off or alter it to my liking? I've had other work done by Jes and am very happy with his work.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
It's your gun, it's not a museum piece and it's collector's value, if any, won't fund your retirement or your kids education. Alter it however you like.

PotatoJudge

Single-Sixer
I had a 223 that was rechambered from a 22 hornet and wouldn't shoot heavy bullets. Had JES turn it into a 357 Max and it shoots great.

You might look into selling yours and picking up a previously altered (AKA less expensive) No 3 for reboring.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Why not look for a #3 in 375 Winchester, and trade or sell the hornet. You can use 38-55 brass in it if makes you feel better. I do in mine.

TDF

Just me, I will not spend to much money changing any gun I have now, have had or will have. I sell it and get what I want. I do have a few friends who do that. This is what they say. I have to much money in XXX after I did xxxx to it. Selling it at a lost is not what they will do so they keep them. Sometimes never liking the outcome and going out and buying the one that they should have got in the first place. Just me, you do what you want.

TDF

Single-Sixer
Historicfirearms, one more thing to keep in mind should you decide to rebore is that some extractor work will be in order as the 38-55 case is considerably larger than the hornet at the base.

TDF