RUGER NO 1b 280 Rem/ 7mm express

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MKR100

Bearcat
Hello, new member here. I recently purchased from a deceased collector a ruger no 1b 280 Rem. The rifle looked unfired with no signs of use. My rifle is stamped 280 Rem/ 7mm express. I have not been successful in getting tight groups with any hand loads Ive tried. Best is about 2 inch groups. I was expecting much better from what Ive invested in the gun. Ive been told this might be a better collector gun than a hunting gun. Some what rare! Im extremely frustrated for it to look so elegant and expensive not to be more accurate. I have only put around 40 rounds through it my self in testing loads. Ive researched several ideas on modifications to make it more accurate, but not interested in butchering this beauty. Thinking of selling it to get one of the newer models that shoots alot better. He had 15-20 red pad Ruger no 1 gun's, same number of 77s. Tons of other really nice guns. You could tell which ones he used and the others were mint.

picketpin

Buckeye
Ruger will tell you that the #1 is a "Sporting" arm and not a target rifle. 2" is certainly minute of deer out to any range prudent to shoot. That said The two biggest issues with accuracy in MOST #1s is barrel harmonics and forearm tip pressure.

40 rounds is not much when it comes to finding the specific load, bullet, velocity YOUR #1 prefers.
Take the best load to date and try shooting off the bench on a sand bag with the forearm removed. Support the rifle on the bottom of the action. If the groups improve or if they get worse it's probably a tip pressure issue. Re-attach ther fore arm without much pressure. The increase 1/2 a turn and see if there is a point at which it seems to "settle" I actually use an inch/pound torque wrench and keep the adjustment in the log for each #1.

Another cheap, quick and easy thing to try is simply insert a small piece of truck inner tube at the front of the barrel channel, Again try different adjustments. This often helps. If it does I usually sand out the factory pressure pad at the tip and simply go with the rubber, It's unobtrusive and practically invisible when done correctly.

We hold an annual Postal Shoot over on the #1 Group on Yahoo. To be honest few guys with unaltered #1s in big game cartridges shoot much/any better right out of the box.

I certainly haven't seen anything to make me think "newer" #1s shoot better than any others, In fact if looking for a "shooter", look for something with a serial number below 130-05xxxx. That will get you a Douglas barrel and a 3 screw adjustable trigger.

Some "general" rules. Most #1s shoot better with a bit of forearm pressure. You'll never shoot one enough that differential heating will effect accuracy by the barrel heating differently than the rib. No reason to cut the rib in half. It MAY help if the rib is actually bearing tight against the front of the receiver to take it off and releave it just a bit and then re-install. Most smiths don't actually work on enough #1s to know what they are talking about/

There is a list of recommended smiths in the files section of he #1 Group.

Were the rifle mine I would simply continue looking for the LOAD your #1 likes best. The dual marked 280s do have some collector value above a "B" with just the 280 stamp but only to the the right guy. I'd just enjoy it. I have a 280 "B" and will admit I don't shoot it a lot any more, however in the past it certainly worked well on antelope, deer and elk.

FWIW there is also several lengthy articles and opinions in the files section of the #1 Group about accurizing #1s.

The best

Ross

wunbe

Buckeye
My 280 1B performed just like yours but with factory ammo UNTIL I had it accurized. That entailed installing a set screw through the receiver extension that stabilized random vibrations; a free floated the barrel; and reduced trigger pull to a crisp 4 lbs. It now shoots nearly all the factory fodder I have used to under MOA. It has killed over a dozen deer in their tracks -- including my best a 16 pointer.

I have divested most of a large-ish collection of #1s in recent years but that one will be the last to go and even then may go into the box with me.

By the way, mine is a black pad made after Ruger started to make their own barrels.

Yours marked both 280 Remington and 7mm Express is definitely an early model made back when the clowns at Remington relied on name changes to mask their marketing blunders with this fine round. What is the serial #? It could fall into that category Picket Pin just mentioned but even so may need some 'tweaking'.

wunbe

pisgah

Buckeye
Despite its elegant appearance, its many fine attributes, and the fact that it "looks like" it should be highly accurate, the No. 1 has never had the reputation of being a tackdriver. Your 2" groups are fairly typical of the ones I have encountered. However, picketpin and wunbe have given you potentially fruitful avenues to pursue in your quest for accuracy.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I have a old ruger #3 in 45-70 that just plain shoots 3 shot clover leaf groups from a bench at 100 yards. that I have done nothing to except install a leupold 3x scope and a healthy dose of H-4198 and a 300 gr hornady bullet. it is the most accurett ruger single shot rifle I have ever owned(12 rifles). eastbank.

Latest posts