Ruger No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Meeteetse

Bearcat
I have been considering a Ruger No. 1, actually for several years, but Ruger has never offered the gun in my favorite caliber. Considering the wide range of calibers offered, can someone explain why the .308 has never been offered. I think it would be great in the medium sporter with a short barrel. Certainly the .308 is a popular caliber given the interest in bolt guns and semi's. I've hunted with a .308 since the 1960's and never thought I was limited when hunting deer, elk, etc., in my home state of Wyoming.

I have been told the rifle has never been as popular as Bill Ruger thought, but I happen to like it. Could someone please explain the thinking that goes into a company selecting the calibers that will be marketed? Ruger offers numerous calibers in this gun, but the .308 seems to have been overlooked. What am I missing here?

I almost forgot. I like leverguns and single shots because I shoot left handed.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Glad to know there is someone else out there that feels the same way. A medium sporter with a 22" +/- barrel and open sights would be a great gun for most of the hunting I do these days. I will just have to keep hoping.

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
They did make a few in 308 back in the day. You can probably pic one up off here if you REALLY want one. The cost will be over $1000. Would like to have one myself. I know where a real nice one is just not will or able to pay for it yet.

four70nitro

Single-Sixer
The No. 1 has been chambered in so many 30 caliber rounds -- the .308 just has never been one that has been popular enough to stick I guess. 30-06 is ubiquitous, there are plenty of 300 Win Mags, 7.62X39, 308 Win, 300 RCM, 300 H&H, 300 Weatherby, and 30-40 Krag. The 308 has only been offered from time to time, and just because it was a cataloged caliber doesn't mean all that many were made. You do see one from time to time.

Since action length isn't a limitation in the No. 1 like it is in bolt action rifles I suspect that people have opted for the 30-06 and longer cartridges rather than the 308. If you watch you may be able to find one.

The other option is to buy a No. 1 in 30-06 and have the barrel set back couple of threads and chambered to 308.

Dave

mattsbox99

Hunter
I never knew it wasn't offered in .308, that surprises me since Ruger almost made a Mini in .308 and nearly every bolt rifle combination in .308 is relatively current production. My .25/06 B is ridiculously accurate and just a classic gun that I really enjoy shooting.

I picked up a 3 digit serial number No. 1 in .308 last fall at a gun show. 98%+ condition for $750. They are out there but in my neck of the woods No. 1s are few and far between.

Keep searching and good luck.

rugnelli

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Being a bit contrary here..........The 30-40 Krag in a #1 is a rare gun, with only 8 reported, 4 in the light sporter(1A) and 4 in the Medium Sporter(1S). Needless to say, the 30-40 #1 is a very expensive rifle. The 308 is fairly common in the early non prefixed SN rifles, usually in a 1AB. There was a small run of 308 in the #1B in the prefixed SN rifles, but uncataloged. Ihave an unfired, boxed non prefix SN (6XX) 308 #1AB that is available. But, it is quite expensive. PM me if any of you have interest.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
Personally I would love a #1-S, because I like the shorter barrel and overall shorter length, but that's just me. Sounds like, if I want a .308, I may have to take it in whatever configuration I can find.

Thanks for the information Hawkeye#28. I will think about your offer.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Meeteetse,
First, the .308 was chambered in the No.1 in the first several years of production, 1967-'69. It was available in all the configurations; 7 or 8 that I am familiar with. What you are referring to as a 1S would really have been a 1A, as the A had the 22" Light weight barrel(with AH forearm and sights). The 1S was traditionally a 26" Medium weight barrel; except, that the .45-70 was gennerally a 22" Medium weight barrel. Of late, there are any number of new calibers in the 22" Medium weight barrel.
Also, of late, the .308 has been chambered again in the 1B configuration.
You will have a tough time finding a .308 in anything other than an early AB or a later production B.
A Ruger No.1 book by J. D. Clayton would be an asset to you, if you have a serious interest in the No.1. Based on the comments in your Posts, I am assuming you do not have one. I could be wrong!
Check out my ad in the Classifieds from last week or the information about the book on my Website, which is linked in my signarture.

Florida-boy

Bearcat
I have a number 1 in .308. I didn't know it was anything special. I can tell you this though, it will out shoo my Remington 700VS all day long.

picketpin

Buckeye
As mentioned the 308 was a popular or at least often chambered round in the early 1967 - 1969 years of the #1 when you could essentually special order whatever configuration you wanted withing the sight, barrel, forearm combinations.

The 308 in the Standard Light Sporter "AB" 22" light weight barrel, no sights, semi Beavertail forearm is the second most common non prefix #1 with 675 made. There were nearly 485 made in various other barrel, sight, forearm conbination.

Of course the non prefix rifles have fallen into the "collector" catagory and have gotten a bit spendy. That being said they do still show up, especially in 22" barrel "AB" for around $1000 plus or minus some. If a guy HAS to have one it still might be a bargain. You couldn't build one much cheaper and it will hold it's value.

They also made the 308 as a cataloged rifle in the "B" Standard Sporter configiuration with a 26" medium weight barrel, no sights and the semi Beavertail forearm. It was cataloged from 2003 through 2006 inboth blued/walnut and stainless/laminate. I've seem both offered on the web or the last few years but asking price is in the $850-$1000 range.

The advantages that present themselve in a bolt gun simply don'
t exist in a #1. The "action" is essentually as short as it can be so overall case or cartridge length doesn't mean much in a #1.

Why 30-06 instead of 308. Remember the #1 came out in 67 the 308 wasn't as popular as it might be now and frankly in the west I would still be willing to bet that 30-06s out sell 308s across the board.

I think Ruger thought the "AB" 308 was going to be a hot seller when it was first introduced. Sales figures seemed to prove that wrong and by 1970 it had lost it's luster in the #1 at a corperate level and was dropped.

The 2003-2006 guns were slow sellers and didn't last long either. Ni real way to know exactly how many cataloged "B"s were made as Ruger doesn't release this number but being cataloged doesn't necesarily mean they made a lot.

Some of the rarest #1s were cataloged rifles for a number of years.

Bottom line, just not enough demand to justify it's continued production and with them focusing on their propritory rounds I sure don't look for it to come back any time soon.

Ross

Meeteetse

Bearcat
El Numero Uno: No I do not have the book. My interest is newly developed because my single shot interest has been directed towards Sharps type rifles and I sort of overlooked the No. 1. Something I plan to rectify.

Thanks for the information. I will look into it.

Meeteetse

Bearcat
picketpin: thank you also for the information. I agree that the 30-06 probably is more popular than the .308, especially in the west, but I have several .308 bolt guns and a lever gun. I have been shooting the caliber for more than 30 years and I like it, so I thought I would add a No. 1 to my working collection. I'm just being picky about the model and style I would like. It doesn't sound as if it is available.

I appreciate all the comments and good information everyone has given.
Dave

Latest posts