Ruger No.1 Standard Stainless in 30-06?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

coop2564

Bearcat
Hello newbe here! I have the above coming in shipping as we speak. I've ordered a Nikon 3x9 40mm omega with 5" eye relief in silver, I know its a ML'er scope but from what i have read the extra eye relief will be needed and while the marks of the BDC are calibrated for ML they will be useful I just have to determine were they strike for the load I settle own. My question is for you guys that have the newer models do any come with Okay triggers? Sounds like a Moyer trigger will be needed, I'm not looking for .5" groups from this gun anything in 1.5"-2" will be welcome for the WT-Elk hunting its intended for. I"ve wanted this gun for like 20yrs and finally pulled the trigger! I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas right now. Any advice on loads for this masterpiece will be welcome.

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Coop26564,
Welcome to the RugerForum. Congratulations on getting your first No.1. Bet it doesn't take you another 20 years to get your second one. The more recent No.1's have come with quite acceptable triggers, so try it before you decide you need a different one. I expect it will shoot to your satisfaction.

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
I have a 1B in 30-06 and it likes 180 grain Sierra Pro Hunters or Nosler Partitions over 55 grains of IMR 4350 in Rem cases and CCI large rifle primers. It shoots right around one inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards with this load.

NOTE< This is my load in My Rifle. Start low and work up watching for pressure signs.

coop2564

Bearcat
Got my gun today and it looks perfect, trigger was suprisingly good at 3lb 10oz and crisp! Mounted scope its perfect the 5" eyerelief was perfect as well with scope turrets centered between rings. Got three boxes of ammo to try later this week, only hurrdle left is will she group? IF i knew how to post a pic I would. I dont see a attach feature. :D

coop2564

Bearcat
Had 3 boxes of shells, rem coreloft 150gr, Hornady Super Performance 150gr SST, 110gr Fed barnes (3400fps). Started with rem sighted in with 3 shots at 50yds backed off to 100yds 1st 3 shot group with rems 1.5" cleaned barrel one fouler let cool then another 3 shots 1.5". Switched to 110gr feds and bingo! .750" but was 3" high made sight adjustment. Next group 1" let cool for 15 mins shot 5 shots letting cool about 3 mins between shots 1.250" let cool 10 mins then 3 shots very fast .875". Then switched to Hornady 1.5" shooting fast but about 2" LOW 1" LEFT, let cool 15 mins 3 shots about 3 mins apart 1.250". Waited 10 mins shot one more 110gr dead center of bullseye called good! Couldnt be happier with this gun! Sexy and deadly! Very impressed with this new Federal load for deer size game and down wow it should be the bomb!

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Yep those Rugers just don't shoot, especially those 2 piece stocked #1s. :wink:
I'd check that zero from field positions before hunting just to make sure it hits where you want when off the bench. Let us know how those 110gr loads work on game. Congratulations and good hunting.