Ruger No.1 Scope Ring question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I have a RUGER No.1 international in 270. I would like to mount a scope on it.

The scope rings that came with the rifle were in a storage locker. The storage locker was broken into by meth addicts and stolen. The addicts were eventually caught, but most of the stuff they stole was not recovered.

I want to buy some new rings, but I am trying to decide what would be best.

The scope I am mounting will be a Redfield Widefield 2-7 scope. The front ocular is 30x22 (30mm wide by 22mm tall).

I need to decide scope ring height.
The scope rings that came with the rifle were high mount rings. The shop Ruger page shows that low mount rings will work with scopes with oculars up to 33mm.

I was also considering Leopold rings. They suggest medium rings Leopold Ruger-mount rings for a similar scope.

For my Ruger No.1 experts, what height rings should I get? My biggest concerns will be proper cheek weld, clearance between the scope and thumb, and loading/unloading.

Thanks I. Advance,

Charlie

Hi Just my experience the low rings will be fine but with most scopes you will need a extended ring on the rear so that you will not have to creep up on the scope to get a good picture

Gramps

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Gramps,

Thank you. It doesn't look like extended low rings from either Ruger or Leupold are available. I will shop for medium extended rings. That will give me flexibility if I ever need to change my scope in the future.

Do you have a preference of Ruger or Leupold?

Charlie

MZ5

Bearcat
I prefer Ruger's rings if I'm attaching to the Ruger base.

You're right that Ruger now only has offset rings in medium height and blued steel.

I think you could easily mount that scope on that gun with lows, but only you know whether you would be comfortable trying to put your head down that low. I think you'll be happy with the medium height and an offset ring or two.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Gramps and MZ5,

Thank you. One last question. Do y'all think I should get a standard and an offset ring, or two offset rings?

I figure I would need at most 1 offset with the current scope, but at some point I might need to replace the scope (it is around the same age I am.) should I get two offset rings? If I put another scope on it, it would be something like a Leupold VX-Freedom 2-7x33 or Burris fulfilled 2-7x35.

Thanks,

Charlie

MZ5

Bearcat
I've used one and I've used two. It depends a lot on the specific scope and how & where you need it mounted for comfort.

Another option: Conetrol makes OUTSTANDING rings and a cantilever-looking steel mount for many No.1 rifles. I have that combo on my 1B and I love how it looks and mounts the scope.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
My bet is Ruger single offset, medium height rings should work well. (This is what I like for Leupold VX-II scopes)

I used Ruger low rings on my 1S....the scope tube (Leupold VX-III) just touches the screws on the rear sight.

Corbi